Print Page | Close Window

dart 16

Printed From: Yachts and Yachting Online
Category: Multihulls
Forum Name: Dinghy multihulls
Forum Discription: For those who prefer two (or more) hulls to one!
URL: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11311
Printed Date: 28 Mar 24 at 5:55pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: dart 16
Posted By: bicrider
Subject: dart 16
Date Posted: 14 Jan 14 at 3:12pm

Not Sure if anybody will be able to help at all but have been looking for a dart 18 for a while now and not had one come up locally with a road trailer for the right price but a dart 16 has
i am 110kg with a crew of similar weight (but he not reliable) so will be single handing sometimes. we have very short steep wave most of the time thats why i like the idea of the dart 18 

Chris 

Replies:
Posted By: RichTea
Date Posted: 14 Jan 14 at 6:13pm
Where are you located? Check out the Class website.

The 16 is plastic and the bow shape is totally different, so if you are looking for an 18, put a wanted advert up, you may find someone will be looking to sell come march/April time but may sell early if they know someone is looking to buy.

-------------

RS200

Posted By: stewart smith
Date Posted: 14 Jan 14 at 6:38pm
Try before you buy. Both boats will sail single handed. The 18 is lighter and faster. The 16 is stronger and will take a spinnaker. Both boats have their faults. In most clubs there will be someone who will lend you a cat trailor. At 110 kgs, you would only want a light crew, if any!

-------------
Stewart Smith

Posted By: alstorer
Date Posted: 15 Jan 14 at 7:01am
A 16 will very much wallow with two 110kg sailors. An 18 won't exactly be nippy. Both will fly with just you!

If you're seriously considering a 16, also look at the (many) other 16ft plastic cats- there's a Topaz one, an RS one, multiple Hobies and many other French ones.

-------------
-_
Al

Date Posted: 15 Jan 14 at 7:40am
Thanks guys I am down at rye harbour( between brighton and dover) there are a quite a few dart 16 at hastings and bexhill but i believe this is because they beach launch on a shingle beach there where at rye we launch in to a river b4 a half mile sail to the sea.I have crewed on a dart 18 b4 a long time ago and really enjoyed as my other ride at the time international 14 where we seamed to spend more time on our side than up right!! I have looked at some other of the plastic cats but most of them are over my price.

Posted By: shadeux
Date Posted: 15 Jan 14 at 9:42am
I know it's a bit further but there are a few Dart 16s at Eastbourne. I know a couple of cat sailors there and they might be able to arrange a test drive to help you make up your mind. There are also Darts at Worthing but, further still. This link will take you to the UK Dart 18 website where you will also find the Dart 16 pages. Good luck.
http://www.dart18.com/

-------------
Bruce
Shadow002

Date Posted: 15 Jan 14 at 10:34am
thanks for the link  shadeux having been over the bexhill sc in the summer and watched them beach the d16's i can why there are a lot of them there i was really surprised how hard they come in to the beach did see one or two 18's in the dinghy park but know where near as many think  

Posted By: ASok
Date Posted: 15 Jan 14 at 11:45am
Have a search down at Worthing. They have a really decent cat fleet and aren't too far from you. Might have something?

Email the admin at Netley SC. I'm sure I saw that there were a few boats to sail over there and could put you in touch with their cat fleet captain.

I really dislike the Dart 18. Even singlehanded its not a patch on the Dart 18 and I don't think the spinny makes up for its shortcomings. That said, its bullet proof and would be a preference if you are looking to beach it when coming ashore. I'd really discourage doing that in a Dart 18 unless you are good at repairs.

My old dart 18 originally came from Eastbourne and was in great condition, so can't all be bad down that part of the coast.

Good luck with the search.

Date Posted: 15 Jan 14 at 12:24pm
hi asok
thanks for the info will have a look at netley sc.
No nasty beach for us at rye we go a concret slip in to a nice flat river.
I am taking it you dislike the 16 not the 18.
any real reason why u dont like the 16?
I was taking to a topper sales man at ali pli show last year about the dart 16 he said they flex alot (but he was trying to sell me a topaz(way out of my price range)

Posted By: shadeux
Date Posted: 15 Jan 14 at 2:27pm
I used to have a Dart 16 and they are fine for what they are. They are very tough, but easy to sail and a lot of fun. Do they flex a lot? Yes they do flex a bit but I'm not sure they are significantly worse than the Topaz (same designer) although I've never sailed one. The Dart 18 is a completely different proposition and the choice probably rests on what you want to do with your cat. If racing is your thing then go for the D18 but if you just want to cruise around and maybe race a little then perhaps the D16 is a better choice. Have you considered the Sprint 15? Either way, you should be able to find yourself a good buy.

-------------
Bruce
Shadow002

Date Posted: 15 Jan 14 at 3:27pm
thank Bruce think i will hang on and find an 18 as i did enjoy sailing on it b4 just have to keep and eye out and wait till spring see if more boat will appear 

Date Posted: 16 Jan 14 at 9:55am
Originally posted by bicrider

hi asok
thanks for the info will have a look at netley sc.

No nasty beach for us at rye we go a concret slip in to a nice flat river.

I am taking it you dislike the 16 not the 18.

any real reason why u dont like the 16?

I was taking to a topper sales man at ali pli show last year about the dart 16 he said they flex alot (but he was trying to sell me a topaz(way out of my price range)

Yes, I did mean to say that I dislike the Dart 16! oops!

It may be that I've only ever sailed 16's that have been abused by holiday makers, but it felt very heavy and sluggish to me compared to the Dart 18.

I recall that you said you were above 100kg? I think that you'd be better suited to a Dart18 and will find it a rewarding boat to sail. Its good fun single handed and at 100kg there won't be much weather you couldn't go out in.

Your launching sounds very civilised, so I wouldn't be too put off by the fibreglass construction of the Dart 18. Sounds like you wouldn't be planning on beaching it.

Date Posted: 16 Jan 14 at 10:37am
yeah 110 to 120kg after xmas closer to one 120 now!!

yes it is a good place to launch and my old man as been messing about in boats for years and is a dab-hand with fibre-glass

i have got the itch big time to get one asap now:)

Posted By: Wiclif
Date Posted: 16 Jan 14 at 12:30pm
With your weight, unless you have a really lightweight crew, you will find the waves catching the rear beam on the Dart 18 and stopping you. So you then have a stop/go motion which is disconcerting.

I did virtually all my sailing in the Dart 16 singlehanded so dont know if the same thing would happen to it. I would weigh about 100kg.

I enjoyed both boats. I would have sailed the Dart 18 with mainsail only, and the Dart 16 with the jib as well in all conditions up to and including Force 6.

Date Posted: 16 Jan 14 at 1:09pm
Hi wiclif
I feel that most of my sailing will be single handed i dont have a crew that will commit i have 3 crew who are willing but not committing to and all have sailing experience if one does want to do it more regularly  after getting some cat experience look at a hurricane 5.9 in a couple 3 years thats the long term plan!
had a test ride on a hurricane on portland harbour mid 90's loved it could not convince dad to buy one then we ended up with a 470 i think

Date Posted: 22 Jan 14 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by Wiclif

With your weight, unless you have a really lightweight crew, you will find the waves catching the rear beam on the Dart 18 and stopping you. So you then have a stop/go motion which is disconcerting.

Not quite sure I understand this? Short chop can get between the hulls and stall the cross beams on any cat, depends on the conditions.

The Dart 18 is best sailed with an even fore and aft trim. When I first got the boat I tended to sit right at the back, but this was completely wrong! Took me a few sails to learn the trim of the boat and understand how it was supposed to feel.

The Dart 18 class association training weekend is a must. Regardless of whether you'll race or not, its a really good way of understanding how to get the best out of it.

Posted By: craiggo
Date Posted: 22 Jan 14 at 9:19pm
Both are good boats. We used to have a big Dart18 fleet at our club but as a singlehander they never really seemed to work out. Recovering a capsized 18 is hard enough for two people let along one even if you are 100kg.

The Dart16 is not bad and I think gets unfairly criticised. One of our members who moved onto a Shadow then F18s started racing in a Dart16 singlehanded and did pretty well. They work especially well in stronger breezes and can easily be sailed in a blow even singlehanded with all three sails. All the control are nice and simple and you dont have the agro of the horrific rudders on the 18.
At the end of the day though best to pick a boat that already exists where you intend to sail as you'll get more enjoyment talking to your competitors.

Date Posted: 23 Jan 14 at 7:37am
Hi Craiggo
                Our club does not really have a cat section there are a couple of hobie 16 (never race just sail for fun) a very old condor,and early 1980 hobie 18 and a hobie tiger again none of these enter the club races.So i dont feel the need to buy hobie 16 cos we have a fleet of them and they alway look like they are sailing on the edge when the breeze picks up.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com