Forum Discription: The latest moves in the dinghy market
URL: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11253
Printed Date: 24 Jan 21 at 9:37pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Posh Test - School v2
Posted By: 2547
Subject: Posh Test - School v2
Date Posted: 10 Dec 13 at 5:25pm
Peaky, I fear your state education did not teach you to write a good question/answer pair ...

Simple question, was your education state delivered (for free - e.g. grammar, high, secondary modern,) or did you go to an independent school (even if you had a grant to subsidise it)? 

This question needs the answer options:

State or Independent ...

I'm not sure the yes / no options will get an accurate record.

If you want yes no options the question should read ...

Simple question, was your education state delivered (for free - e.g. grammar, high, secondary modern)?

Replies:
Posted By: Daniel Holman
Date Posted: 10 Dec 13 at 5:32pm
Peaky you should know that independently educated types are far too busy exploiting peasants and laughing in a snorty manner to look at interweb forums.

Posted By: Rupert
Date Posted: 10 Dec 13 at 5:43pm
There seems to be an implication that if your parents paid for your schooling, then you are posh. A very odd concept indeed. Mine weren't in a position to, and nor am I, but having an income high enough to do so, and the inclination to do so, merely makes you a reasonably well off caring parent, surely. If that is the definition of posh, then it doesn't mean very much any more.

-------------
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446

Date Posted: 10 Dec 13 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by Rupert

There seems to be an implication that if your parents paid for your schooling, then you are posh. A very odd concept indeed. Mine weren't in a position to, and nor am I, but having an income high enough to do so, and the inclination to do so, merely makes you a reasonably well off caring parent, surely. If that is the definition of posh, then it doesn't mean very much any more.

Not exclusively so but I would expect a big overlap between the posh population and the privately educated population ...

Few posh people attend state schools but the private education sector does now accept oiks with rich parents as needs must these days ...Wink

Posted By: yellowwelly
Date Posted: 10 Dec 13 at 6:22pm
Supply and demand- my own limited private schooling was nothing short of a crash course in oikishness... For those that have a requirement to know where that was, see Jodie Marsh's documentary on bullying. We were in the same classics club....

My academic performance and general well being improved enormously thanks to the 90's recession and a change of school circumstances... As did my sailing, finally freeing up the third kevball session of the week for Open meetings. although kevball proved quite popular given the number of kids who were in someway associated with its glitterati of the time

Posted By: Bootscooter
Date Posted: 10 Dec 13 at 6:47pm
IMHO anyone that uses the term "kevball" subconsciously considers themselves posh.

-------------

Posted By: yellowwelly
Date Posted: 10 Dec 13 at 6:51pm
I don't use it subconsciously... Or is your syntax wrong there?

Posted By: Rupert
Date Posted: 10 Dec 13 at 7:07pm
Why a humble opinion? 

-------------
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446

Posted By: Thunder Road
Date Posted: 11 Dec 13 at 9:38am
Does this subject have anything to do with sailing or indeed life? Perhaps the class warriors need to get into the Christmas spirit?

-------------
Finn GBR16 Thunder Road.

Posted By: Peaky
Date Posted: 11 Dec 13 at 10:05am
No class warrior here - I'm not making any judgement on whether being posh is good or bad. Indeed, I really don't care. But the statement was made that sailing is for posh people.

I think it is fair to say that the average privately educated person is posher than the average state school kid (with many, many exceptions, but that's the way averages work). So if sailing IS for posh people, then we may expect a higher than normal number of privately eduacated sailors.

Do I care if that happens to be the case? Nope. As long as the opportunity to access the sport is available to all, I don't give a monkies where you were educated, which is why the original poll was set to be anonymous.
2547 - Anyone who didn't understand the original poll couldn't have gone to any school at all!

-------------

Posted By: iitick
Date Posted: 11 Dec 13 at 11:34am
We really are straying from sailing now, not that I mind. On this forum there are a few twerps but on the whole they are intelligent twerps. My Mazda forum which I read but rarely contribute to is nothing like this. Some members of that are rude, sexist and uncouth. I do not mind as there is also some intelligent content even if it is related with appalling spelling and grammar.

You cannot say that the average Mazda fan is like that because they were not privately educated and you cannot say that the average sailing forumite will be educated privatley.

Much of it is awareness and understanding. My schooling was entirely state but I was taught to be open minded and aware by my family. Radio 4 then took over. I had a talented friend at school over 50 years ago who wanted to be an architect but his father who was a drayman forbade it.  My four children, all state educated could all see the possibilities in life (even if they did require some vigorous kicking) and have all done pretty well post university.

Times now are more enlightened but prejudiced and adverse snobbery still exists and it is a terrible shame.

Date Posted: 11 Dec 13 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Peaky

2547 - Anyone who didn't understand the original poll couldn't have gone to any school at all!

That's the trouble with poshies ... Can't stand being corrected ...

Date Posted: 11 Dec 13 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by iitick

.. My Mazda forum which I read but rarely contribute to is nothing like this. Some members of that are rude, sexist and uncouth. I do not mind as there is also some intelligent content even if it is related with appalling spelling and grammar.
You cannot say that the average Mazda fan is like that because they were not privately educated and you cannot say that the average sailing forumite will be educated privatley.

You appear to be implying that people who aren't posh are rude, sexist, uncouth and can't spell. Which is, of course, nonsense.
There is nothing wrong with being posh. there is nothing wrong with not being posh. It is all relative anyway. My mum seems posh to me, but my grandma probably thought she was an oik.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Dec 13 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by 2547

That's the trouble with poshies ... Can't stand being corrected ...

...and they like the last word...

-------------

Posted By: iitick
Date Posted: 11 Dec 13 at 12:26pm

.. My Mazda forum which I read but rarely contribute to is nothing like this. Some members of that are rude, sexist and uncouth. I do not mind as there is also some intelligent content even if it is related with appalling spelling and grammar.

You appear to be implying that people who aren't posh are rude, sexist, uncouth and can't spell. Which is, of course, nonsense.
There is nothing wrong with being posh. there is nothing wrong with not being posh. It is all relative anyway. My mum seems posh to me, but my grandma probably thought she was an oik.

Basically yes. How about using the word unenlightened? Is that better than posh? The use of words on this subject is a minefield. I once had an American woman threaten to punch me at a party because I said I wished everyone was middle class. (I think the miners strike was on at the time). What I meant was that I wished everyone could have a comfortable life where they enjoyed a variety of pastimes, which could include sailing, if you like.

At the time of this incident I was working as a general haulage hgv driver (which I did for 12 years) and was in a perfect position to judge the state of society.

Posted By: getafix
Date Posted: 11 Dec 13 at 1:35pm

Basically yes. How about using the word unenlightened? Is that better than posh? The use of words on this subject is a minefield. I once had an American woman threaten to punch me at a party because I said I wished everyone was middle class. (I think the miners strike was on at the time). What I meant was that I wished everyone could have a comfortable life where they enjoyed a variety of pastimes, which could include sailing, if you like.

At the time of this incident I was working as a general haulage hgv driver (which I did for 12 years) and was in a perfect position to judge the state of society.

I do find the Americans amusing, so busy lecturing you on the responsibility of humans to be kind to one another, love trees and hug each other, irrespective of colour... so devoid of mirrors.  In my experience, we Brits are more self-efacing and less willing to offer "advice" which in anyone elses terms would be considered patronising, at the very least.

In the meantime, the school you went too says a lot more about your parents than it does about you, IMO.

Posted By: Bootscooter
Date Posted: 11 Dec 13 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by yellowwelly

I don't use it subconsciously... Or is your syntax wrong there?

Gah!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com