FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The future of the AC?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
ellistine View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ellistine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The future of the AC?
    Posted: 17 Oct 12 at 3:48pm

Edited by ellistine - 18 Oct 12 at 8:17am
laser193713 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser193713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 12 at 10:37am
Originally posted by alstorer

why does it have anything to do with "filter down" technology?

Lets get this straight.

The Americas Cup has always been, from the word go, about massively rich guys (and to some extent these days, corporations) using sailing racing as a subsitute for whipping down their trousers and taking a measuting tape to what's in their pants.

Well, quite a lot actually! Think load path sail technology, Millenium, 3DL, 3DI whatever it may be it was all developed through America's Cup teams. Then there are the huge advances in instrumentation technology, developed because these boats need raw data to improve, two boat tuning is out of the question, I don't think they are allowed to, but it would also burn valuable budget which could be spent on the actual boat they are taking to the cup. VPP analysis, where would that be without the input of these teams? You've been looking the wrong way if you you cant see how the America's Cup has traditionally benefitted Joe Public. But wing sail foiling cats, I just don't see where this will benefit me. Composite technology maybe, but most of that comes from the likes of F1 way before it reaches sailing at all!

I think you are missing my point in that without the interest for the above reasons, the world will stop watching. If nobody is watching then why would you pull your trousers down when there's nobody to read the tape measure? Simple, or at least I think so!
Owenfackrell View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Owenfackrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 12 at 2:08pm
The 'boring and not different' ETNZ have had their cat out and foiling well with out the problems that the radical Oracle cat has had.
Even if you can't see how a foiling, wingsailed cat has any bearing on what you are sailing now it doesn't mean that it won't have had any infullance on what you will be sailing in 10 years time.
laser193713 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser193713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 12 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Owenfackrell

The 'boring and not different' ETNZ have had their cat out and foiling well with out the problems that the radical Oracle cat has had.
Even if you can't see how a foiling, wingsailed cat has any bearing on what you are sailing now it doesn't mean that it won't have had any infullance on what you will be sailing in 10 years time.

I really can't see myself nipping across the channel on a foiling cat somehow, you might, but I dont. Imagine explaining that one to the wife for the first time when her nice comfortable cat suddenly takes off! LOL
pondmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 12 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Owenfackrell

I think you're forgetting how slowly the mainstay of club racing 'develops'... I'd imagine that in 10 years I'll still be sailing a singlehanded unarig of some description, and no, not one that foils.  I might also have another boat for sailing with the kids in the UK... but that's pipedream stuff at the moment.
ham4sand View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote ham4sand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 12 at 1:39pm
you'll probably be sailing a laser or a solo, which wont be effected by filter down tech anyway, so stop worrying about it
John Hamilton
cherub 2645 - cheese before bedtime
cherub 3209 - anatidaephobia
laser 176847 - kiss this
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12