FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

49er Gate Mark Incident

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
craiggo View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 49er Gate Mark Incident
    Posted: 14 Mar 12 at 9:39pm
There is an interesting discussion going on over at Sailing Anarchy. Interested to hear Gordons view on this.

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=132559&st=0

I think the Austrian boat is DSQ for not avoiding a collision, BEL is posibly able to claim redress, and USA is in the clear.
BEL had the inner overlap within the three boat length circle having dropped the kite and come in hot. While Austria is on Stbd she must give Bel and USA mark room as both have inside overlaps. AUT does not gybe out to clear the situation early enough and her actions result in contact with BEL who clearly looses out as a result of the impact. USA sails through with no contact and is therefore in the clear.
Whats everyone else reckon
Brass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 12 at 2:33am
As far as I can see here

There was no protest and no request for redress involving this incident.

Up to the time of the contact between AUT and BER, AUT had not reached the zone, so AUT did not owe USA mark-room.  In any case, at no time did AUT deprive USA of mark-room.
gordon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 12 at 9:17am
This incident has already been discussed at great length on the "look to windward" site. When I have time I will find the reference - got to go umpiring!

Gordon
Gordon
 Post Reply Post Reply