FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help - Who Do I Support?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help - Who Do I Support?
    Posted: 08 Feb 10 at 1:07pm

Okay, by last May I was bored of all the shennanigans and stopped following what was happening. 

Who should I be supporting?  Who is the baddie?  And who has the faster boat?

MikeBz View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote MikeBz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 10 at 1:57pm

Well if Bertarelli wins then presumbly he will try to rig AC34 completely in his favour, whilst not allowing any potential challengers to criticise him for fear of being excluded, and making up & changing rules willy-nilly with his fingers crossed behind his back.

Mike

Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 10 at 2:16pm
And if the Yanks win, I expect they will do something similar. It might be worth choosing a different game to support. Pro wrestling, maybe...
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Late starter View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Late starter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 10 at 2:28pm
The most lucid explanation I've seen so far about the AC debacle was at Business Week, http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-02-08/america-s-cup-si nks-as-sponsors-flee-billionaire-feud-update1-.html

Plenty of blame to share by the sounds of it.
Laser 173312 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Laser 173312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 10 at 3:51pm

You don't support either. Just hope that Alinghi lose the 33rd and BMWO lose the 34th.

laser193713 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser193713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 10 at 4:04pm
i'm not putting money on either of them to win, I am expecting a big smash up as they enter the start and both boats being destroyed.  At least thats what i want to see!
Jamesd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jamesd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 10 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by laser193713

i'm not putting money on either of them to win, I am
expecting a big smash up as they enter the start and both boats being
destroyed.  At least thats what i want to see!

Im hoping there is a big collision, the line is far too short for two 90ft multi's
travelling at 20 knots to pull off a dial up so heres hoping it will happen first
race......the yanks have the power of the committee boat lead in so with a bit
of luck they will take out the swiss and that will be the end of that.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 10 at 4:52pm
The Yanks really plan a meeting in Spain if they win? Wouldn't they hold an event in home waters, seeing as they don't normally sailing on a lake like the Swiss?
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 10 at 9:00am
It really would have been far easier and cheaper just to put the 2 egos in Challenger Tris and send them off to race against each other. Who'd have won that?
MikeBz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MikeBz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 10 at 10:22am

I'm sure LE is no saint, but at least he had the balls to stand up to Bertarelli's ridiculous attempt to totally manipulate and control AC33.  None of the other teams would do it for fear of not being allowed to take part (as well as not being rich enough to take the legal route which was the only way it could be done).  If noone had stood up to him then AC33 would have been even more of a sham.

Mike

Post Reply Post Reply