FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best alternative to Radial

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
tack'ho View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote tack'ho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best alternative to Radial
    Posted: 18 Sep 09 at 7:56am

Byte or Europe.  I posted a compare and contrast a while back.

If your Bro has a CII and you get one.....thats the start of a fleet!!

Just a thought

I might be sailing it, but it's still sh**e!
zailor View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote zailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 09 at 5:03pm
Well theres a few topper sailors coming out of retirement.
maybe theywould join us.

Whats the apollo duck website again
Bryce2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bryce2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 09 at 3:52pm

To be honest at 60kg you won't go faster than radial in any of your choices -except the supernova however, I wonder if that would be a little overpowered for your weight.

I had a Streaker (I was 5ft6 and 68kg) and was quite comfortable in a force 5/6. A Streaker should be good in the sea because they are light at the transom and bow and therefore shouldn't get stuck in the waves as much as a radial which is comparitively heavy at both ends. They are nippy and turn on a penny piece. There is enough room under the boom to move around and the semi battened sail will help your speed in lighter conditions.

However, I did find it hard to significantly depower the rig and that is where a more flexible mast (Like a lightning) may come in to use. Some models you may find the mainsheet can get caught on the transom in a gybe - which can be interesting.

Also, if you fancy developing into a national level sailor it seems only the newer boats are in the top 10 and of course, if you want to win you'll have to beat Steve Cockerill - good luck!

zailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote zailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 09 at 8:38pm
May as well tell you.

I got me and old Europe for a laugh.

Got a CII here so when its light winds my brother will have to considder it skanked
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12