FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Upwind/downwind right of way

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upwind/downwind right of way
    Posted: 22 Sep 08 at 5:42pm
Well, all I can say is I hope Gordon never has to sail at a sea venue where you mix it with all sorts of quite different boats, or he may find there are boats out there far less manouverable than any skiff which don't even have the option of throwing the boat in if someone does something suicidal in front of them... If you think a skiff is somehow in breach of the rules because it is less manouverable than a Laser you'd better not try sharing a course with a J class...
gordon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 08 at 5:46pm

Surely, the whole thread has been about collision avoidance. All the Part 2 rules are about collision avoidance -  and not breaking boats or crew is the foremost mark of respect for other competitors.

In my experience there are major problems in some classes concerning rule observance, with boats getting broken and regular examples of unsportsmanlike behaviour and even bullying. Strangely enough these classes are often those presented as "fun" classes, in which "we don't bother with protests"

On several occasions I have acted as umpire/judge at events where it has been permitted for the judges to signal infringements on the water. On every occasion, competitors have thanked me, claiming that the event was more enjoyable, because rule obsrvance was better. Mark roundings are said to be a lot less stressful when anyone forcing a passage gets an instant penalty. Completing an SB3 event without breaking a boat ws considered to be worthy of note, for instance.

At another event I chaired the protest committee which disqualified a competitor. To my surprise several other competitors thanked me - the culprit had been getting away with multiple rule infringements for years, and every body was pleased that he had been penalised for once.

The Part 2 rules are extremely simple, certainly a lot less complex than the rules of rugby, cricket or golf. There is really little excuse for not knowing and applying them. Sailing is a self policing sport. I, for one, would not like all events to become fully umpired. Umpires are thirsty creatures with large appetites...entry fees would have to increase exponentially if each event had to cater for a whole troop of umpires.

One conclusion from this thread is that competitors should insisit on there being more separation between incompatible categories of boats.

Gordon

Gordon
gordon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 08 at 5:55pm

Jim C - all my sailing is on the sea at present.

My point is that some skiffs seem to have a fairly narrow range of angles on which they can go downwind without capsizing, and some seem to have difficulty when they are going downwind without a spinnaker. Big boats may take some time to change course, but they do not have this limit range of possible course. And the notion of not keeping clear in a 60ft yacht implies a lesser tolerance of proximity than when sailing 12 ft dinghies.

I was once sailing an International 12foot class, we were on starboard and the J Class Valsheda was on port! We decided to tack rather than insist on our rights!

Gordon

Gordon
Skiffybob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Skiffybob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 08 at 5:58pm

So common sense prevailed rather than tryng to psh a point BECAUSE you understood what the guys on the J were dealing with and know that letting them past was the lesser of two evils.

Scooby_simon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Scooby_simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 08 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by Scooby_simon

Gordon,

I totally agree with the rules and cases you quote above.

BUT, as you state in 3 above "She has an obligation not to alter course without giving keep clear boat room to do so"; thus a laser can keep clear more quickly (as it is more manoverable) than a 100 foot boat, or a 49er.  SO; I would argue that a laser needs LESS time to react to a change of course, and so the ROW boat can alter course LATER then approaching a LASER than when APPROACHING a 49 "fully locked in" that is the burdend boat. 

I believe that the "without giving keep clear boat room to do so" is CRITICAL - NOTE this is ROOM; so a small boat needs less ROOM to keep clear as they are smaller and can tack or gybe quicker, BUT as they (may) move slower, then they cannot move "away from the bit of water" as quickly.

I also do agree with you that you cannot HUNT someone without risking a Rule 2; and also a boat sailing down wind needs to be aware of the abilities of the keep clear boats. 

What is defined as "without giving keep clear boat room to do so" is down to a trip to a protest room.

Gordon,

Was you polint re the J class the fact it cannot tack/gybe and change course the reason you did not push too hard?

I again ask for your comments on the above.  I feel you have essentially agreed that different boats take differing times to change direction and thus the time required to keep clear is different depending on the boat that is sailing. 

Wanna learn to Ski - PM me..
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 08 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by Scooby_simon

the time required to keep clear is different depending on the boat that is sailing. 

Yep: the definition in the rules clearly refers to the requirements of an individual boat:
Room The space a boat needs in the existing conditions while manoeuvring promptly in a seamanlike way.

A boat singular. Its even clearer in the new rules if you read it alongside the new mark-room definition.
gordon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 08 at 7:54pm

On the Velsheda - we could have stood on, borne away to pass astern or tacked. We tacked because we wanted to go to the right. A big boat can in fact alter course quite rapidly, they are not usually restricted to a narrow band of wind angles. Velsheda could have lufed 3 or 4 degrees and cleared us without problem. The speed difference was such that we were, for all purposes, an immobile object.

I would argue that the time required for most boats to alter course is not that different, although in that time some may travel a lot further. The reaction time of the helmsman remains the same. Big cats are an exception, because they often have difficulty bearing away without some serious trimming to prevent the leeward bow digging in. Some skiffs also have a problem when running as bearing away of luffing more than a few degrees may result in a capsize. The rules clearly state that this does not alter in any way their obligations.

It could be argued that sailing a boat in such a way that it has a limited capacity to alter course is not "seamanlike". It would make an interesting case.

Probably, the common sense decision is to ensure that there is sufficient separation between differing classes so that the problem doesn't arise.

Gordon

Gordon
English Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote English Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 08 at 10:15pm
What a great thread. Informed, lively and lacking of any class sl*gging. Sorry I missed it's start.

When we race cats on a WW/LW course the OOD will generally make the start line a prohibited area downwind. In weekly club racing we commonly do "butterfly" courses which have a crossover. And we have 40+ Lasers trudging upwind while cats and skiffs try to thread their way through the fleet downwind. When you are aware of this danger it is easier to manage. If I shout "dump the kite" at my crew he'll be expecting it. The Laser sailors will equally be be on alert and be looking to stay alive. It's all about keeping your eyes "out of the boat".

The problem comes when you don't keep a look-out. This could be because you think you have scanned the area only to find a boat in your blind-spot has got through. Or, more annoyingly, a starboard upwind boat who thinks that just because he has ROW, he doesn't need to look for any other boats.

I have never had a scary moment with a "slower boat". I have had several this season with other cats on opposite tacks downwind when the breeze is up. When you are both doing 20+ knots and most of your attention is focused on keeping the bows and mast up it's easy to miss the fact that a cat can travel an awfully long way in 5 seconds and that you have to broaden your look-out area.
English Dave
Ballyholme Yacht Club

(You'd think I'd be better at it by now)

Hurricane 5.9 SX
RS700
sargesail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sargesail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 08 at 3:55pm

The J Class example bought to mind the Match Race between the IACC Ville de Paris and one of the Js (Endeavour?).  VDP stuffed the J downwind in the prevailing conditions but upwind they were well matched.

Going upwind there was a close crossing/collision situation with the J on port.  The J simply hardened up by a significant amount and "fore-reached" across in front of VDP who simply did not have the momentum to "hunt" even if she wanted to.

Not the same deal - but relevant as it illustrates how the characteristics of boats vary their rule interactions.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678