FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help my RS600 is filling up with water!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
timnoyce View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote timnoyce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help my RS600 is filling up with water!
    Posted: 24 Jan 05 at 12:06pm
I've recently borrowed an RS600 from a mate and have taken it out a couple of times and spent a fair amount of my time swimming rather than sailing! After i had packed it away i took the bung out to check for any water but nothing came out even though i heard a sloshing from the bow. There seems to be a fair amount of water inside but i can't see any way of accessing it!

Does anyone know of a similar problem or know how i could sort it out?

Cheers
Contender443 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 05 at 12:30pm

I remember seeing a RS600 sailor lifting his boat completely vertical to empty it of water. It can be done by one person as the boat is relatively light.

Is there some sort of bulkhead that means you need to do this - perhaps a RS 600 sailor could answer this.

Bonnie Lass Contender 1764
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 05 at 1:24pm
One thing to check on how it might be getting in. A mate has an oldish RS400, and we happened to notice the other day that the hatches into the buoyancy tanks were falling off! The surrounds are pop riveted onto the deck moulding, and the rivets are corroding away - one of the hatches is now only held on by two rivets and isn't remotely waterproof. And because its the surround, not the hatch, the leak bypasses the O ring.
Rob.e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rob.e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 05 at 5:32pm

I,ve seen several 600 sailors standing their boats on the transom to empty them! It's easy enough to do on your own.

timnoyce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote timnoyce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 05 at 1:47am
excellent, cheers for the help guys. I'll have to give it a go when i'm up the club on saturday.
Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 05 at 1:22pm

From a 600 sailor.

There is a bulkhead which gets in the way when emptying water from the hull and this is the reason for tipping the boat up on end.

If you have a lot of water coming in the most problematic area is the back of the dagger board case. I suggest you check for wear and cracks there.

Enjoy the boat
cheers

timnoyce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote timnoyce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 05 at 9:58am
Sorted. Tipped it up as suggested and the water came flowing out. The daggerboard case is the problem so i'll have to get the gelcoat out to fix that!

Cheers for the help.
Chris Noble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris Noble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 05 at 6:58pm
this seems to be a common problem with the hatches on all RS's as ive heard of it a few times now and it happened to one of our 200's, the hatch just came off as all the rives corroded away, whats more is that there was so silicon or anything on the underside of the hatch base itself either.
Competitive Boat Insurance From Noble Marine

FOR SALE:

I14 2 Masts 2 poles 3 Booms, Foils Kites/Mains/Jibs too many to list.
 Post Reply Post Reply