FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Abersoch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
WildWood View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote WildWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Abersoch
    Posted: 23 Jul 07 at 8:26pm

We're going to Abersoch in a couple of weeks time (Ent Nationals) and were wondering what to expect.  What are the best pubs, places to eat etc and particularly is the camping any good near the sailing venue (SCYC).  What as the options?  We're taking bikes, so a wee cycle ride isn't a problem.  Any recommendations?

Also is it worth taking windsurfing kit?  I believe it is a big sandy bay, so presumably if it is windy it will be ideal for windsurfing?

Thanks

Paramedic View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Paramedic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 07 at 8:32am

It's a nice venue sailing wise, though a minority of the locals don't like sailors (Or visitors in general) especially after a few drinks.

Vaynol Arms is quite a good eatery, the indian restaurant is supposedly quite good as well and don't rule out the club itself though as sailing club grub goes they are pricey. If eating out of the club you will almost certainly need to book. If you fail there is a nice chippy on the way into Abersoch.

It is a large sandy bay, beware of the jetskis and motorboats some of whom think they have a divine right to utterly block the slipway. I've heard their behaviour on the water can be questionable too, though again that's probably more about the lunatic fringe than the general populace.

There is a campsite, i'm not sure where though.

Edited by Paramedic
Jon Emmett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jon Emmett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 07 at 11:10am

The Laser Nationals is at Abersoch next year

Fraggle View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fraggle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 07 at 4:14pm
Think it is fine for windsurfing.  Few years back when the laser nationals were there my housemate came along and despite being a beginner windsurfer seemed to enjoy it and there were lots of other windsurfers around for him to get some tips from.  Only thing I remember him complaining about was getting back to shore in light winds as the tide kept taking him back out - never had a problem in the laser though
Harry44981! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Harry44981! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 07 at 4:41pm
We stayed at Bryn Bach campsite during dinghy week.

Was OK, would stay their again. It's a 30 minute brisk walk down a country path and along the beach to the club. Takes a while on the road, I wouldn't recommend it on a bike after dark due to the number of blind bends. I think it's £4 for a days parking in the yacht club car park- limited spaces though.

We just went to the Yachtie Bar, Vaynol arms and St. Tudwals Inn. All were nice.
Wouldn't recommend the chippy next to the river, didn't try the one next to St. Tudwals Inn.

Try to take your kit out of your boat to avoid risk of theft.
ColH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ColH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 07 at 9:44pm
In my experience: try to sound Welsh
DiscoBall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DiscoBall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 07 at 10:28pm
Good baguettes and sandwiches from the deli in the town centre (only a short walk from the club) and a lot cheaper than the club.   Impressions from the nats I sailed there was not the friendliest of clubs though very professional on the water. 
WildWood View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote WildWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 07 at 1:07pm

It was August when we were there.  If anyone else is going they might be interested in this:

Camping - couldn't believe how busy it was.  We tried several sites which appeared to have spaces but were told they were full.  The one we stayed at made us pay for 7 nights up front (£140 - ouch)  Good site but at the top of a big hill!

Venue - Cracking sailing area, beautiful bay, nice tottie on the beach.  Not so good for windsurfing.  Hells Mouth looked good, but it was light winds when we were there.

Club - Really good, although changing room was pretty cramped.  Nice bar, great location.  We found it really friendly.  Avoided the parking charge by taking bikes

Race management was the best I have ever experienced - text book stuff!  Turn around between races, course laying saftey etc was superb

Abersoch town itself is a bit of a traffic bottle neck, as is Pwhelli and every other town on the way from the M6.  Getting there took about 2 hours longer than we expected because of the traffic.

Post Reply Post Reply