FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rule 78 (Compliance with Class Rules

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rule 78 (Compliance with Class Rules
    Posted: 10 Oct 20 at 1:21pm
moved to Ovington Laser Topic

Edited by JimC - 10 Oct 20 at 1:37pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 20 at 1:30pm
Why?  For sure it’s a real class, it is the real ILCA class.  But not the only real Laser class. TLC is just as much a real class for a type of boat known as Laser.  Which isn’t to say I think it (TLC) has a great future, but it is a legitimate (Laser) class.

jeffers View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 20 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by Brass

Nick and Paul,

I get your drift.

I think the operation of PY for the NotALaser Class has hitherto relied on a 'gentleperson's agreement' not to protest for class non-compliance.

I don't have a problem with this: I think it's commonsensical and shows a nice 'club' spirit.

Just let someone try to race a Rooster tall rig of the Laser PY, and I bet there'll be protests soon enough, and rightly so.

Does anyone know how the new NotALaser Class Association treats 'replica' sails etc? Does the NotALaser Class permit RealLaser Class parts and equipment?

When I was my clubs Laser Fleet Captain (back in the day). we agreed at a Sailing Committee meeting to allow racing with replica sails at club events only.

We created a NotQuiteALaser class and the rules were the same as the class rules of the International Laser with the except that replica sails may be used as long as they were:

a) A direct replacement for the original sail

b) The brand of replica sail was 'approved' by the current Laser fleet captain. 

We had a rudimentary measuring process but most of the replica brands at the time were fine (so Rooster, iSails, Intensity et al)

Every other part of the boat had to comply and for Open events only the genuine item was permitted.

It wasnt perfect but it meant that those without deep pockets could afford a new sail every year rather than every 2nd or 3rd year so stayed as competitive as they could.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234