FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What features about a boat are important to you?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What features about a boat are important to you?
    Posted: 03 Apr 20 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by zeon

You need to retard your ignition. . God that takes me back. 
Don’t think anyone under 40 would have any idea what we are talking about lol LOL

40 in dim and distant in the rear view mirror, and I have no idea what you are talking about.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
zeon View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote zeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 20 at 10:22pm
Come on Rupert, your not that young . You remember a world with points, feeler gauges, manual choke and carburettors before every car had electronic ignition and engine management systems  LOL
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 20 at 7:05am
Age isn't the problem. So long as a car could tow a boat, and could be fixed using bits of scaffold pole and wire coat hangers, I really didn't have any clue as to what was happening under the bonnet. Just glad cars have reached the point where I sometimes struggle to remember how to open the bonnet to put windscreen washer in there.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 20 at 7:14am
There lyeth proof of my oft used quote... Never let a dinghy sailor near an engine. ;-)
E.J. View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote E.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 20 at 8:18am
For me it has to be a single hander, one design. Not bothered about much else, Modern enough for Carbon is preferable and with not too much to adjust.

Fleet racing is critical, and a class that has proper international events that are open to amateur sailors, now I have experienced a few of these I don’t think i could go back to a class where the nationals is the main event of the year. It has changed my life in such positive way.

I also like the asthetics of a boat which is of course completely subjective, but somehow not.
ttc546 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote ttc546 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 20 at 9:41am
Originally posted by E.J.

For me it has to be a single hander, one design. Not bothered about much else, Modern enough for Carbon is preferable and with not too much to adjust.

Fleet racing is critical, and a class that has proper international events that are open to amateur sailors, now I have experienced a few of these I don’t think i could go back to a class where the nationals is the main event of the year. It has changed my life in such positive way.

I also like the asthetics of a boat which is of course completely subjective, but somehow not.

This.

I would like a 'Solo' version of the Aero. A boat that is a little less athletic for us older and (now) weightier people - but maintains all the design principles of the Aero - lighweight, looks good, has great support from the builder and fleet racing etc etc  (though I love my Aero as is)

(no offence to Solo sailors  ;-)   )

Edited by ttc546 - 05 Apr 20 at 9:43am
E.J. View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote E.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 20 at 11:25am
Interestingly, I hadn’t considered the Aero when I wrote this as I sail a Contender, I was thinking of boats like that and the OK but I can see the Aero now has this as well. Let’s hope it doesn’t get too professional or Olympian, from a purely selfish perspective.
Peter Barton View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Peter Barton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 20 at 9:59am
Originally posted by ttc546

Originally posted by E.J.

This.

I would like a 'Solo' version of the Aero. A boat that is a little less athletic for us older and (now) weightier people - but maintains all the design principles of the Aero - lighweight, looks good, has great support from the builder and fleet racing etc etc  (though I love my Aero as is)

(no offence to Solo sailors  ;-)   )

For those who didn't want to see the RS Aero professional and Olympic the RS Aero Class lost the singlehanded selection quite successfully by winning the World Sailing trials report and then losing the vote. So no Olympic cigar to choke on for now.
Equipment Evaluation Panel Report

For inclusive international events for amateur sailors looking for travel and holiday with some good racing too, check out the RS Aero reports from Lago Maggiore and the 100+ Garda Europeans last year;
RS Aero European Event Reports (click on 2019, see June & Aug)

We have an informal European circuit of 9 major RS Aero events across 8 counties over 6 months this year, plus the USA World Champs in August;
April - France
May - Ireland
June - Italy
July - Germany x 2
August - Sweden & UK
Sep - Czech Rep & Holland
RS Aero European Calendar 2020
We will see how that all plays out...

Edited by Peter Barton - 07 Apr 20 at 10:08am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456