24 [52.17%]
22 [47.83%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Cirrus View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Laser vs RS Aero for 2024
    Posted: 21 May 19 at 5:15pm
My view is that the Aero got a glowing endorsement ... without RS having to get embroiled.  Now I'm sure they would have wanted to be selected.  But if you don't ultimately get selected (just now) and get that close .. well what the heck.  It really cannot of harmed the class and being overall 'runner up' and of course the key equipment committees 1st choice and one of only two craft from those assessed as 'being suitable' for Olympic competition (alongside the 'Laser') is very far from shabby.....

Who knows .. there might yet be another chance for the Aero in the future.
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 19 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by Cirrus

My view is that the Aero got a glowing endorsement ... without RS having to get embroiled.  Now I'm sure they would have wanted to be selected.  But if you don't ultimately get selected (just now) and get that close .. well what the heck.  It really cannot of harmed the class and being overall 'runner up' and of course the key equipment committees 1st choice and one of only two craft from those assessed as 'being suitable' for Olympic competition (alongside the 'Laser') is very far from shabby.....

Who knows .. there might yet be another chance for the Aero in the future.

yes but based on a criteria that differs from what I would use to buy a boat, 
Haven’t ever really considered Universality when buying a dinghy, cost is important thought. I am not a full time athlete so a bit tuneablity for my weight and fitness is important. If you’re a club sailor in the market for a new dinghy you could read the report and come to a different conclusion, but not many people will geek out on the details of the report though.
Tink
https://tinkboats.com

http://proasail.blogspot.com
Cirrus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 19 at 7:32pm
Tink .... It is not my sort of boat either but ..

You have to recognise that it is great product in the broadest sense of the word - simple but sophisticated and the detail of it designed with an eye to manufacture and distribution.  I've sailed it as well as others of that ilk but am not likely to buy one of them.  However this one really is exceptionally very well thought out and executed and the equipment committee recognised it as such.  

A new 'Laser' is really not cheap either and the old examples inevitably out there can be little more that a cosmetic (but uncompetitive) version of a new(ish) one.   For those who 'make it' and do get to compete at the highest levels the cost of the equipment is not really the issue anyway.  (Yes - other costs dwarf that of the boat itself).

I think the free publicity the selection process entailed and the glowing endorsement of the Aero will make a real difference to it in the coming years.  Hardly a wasted effort and who knows long-term !!
getafix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote getafix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 19 at 6:02am
By participating in this process the international profile of the Aero has gone up IMO, getting “critical mass” internationally is what, ultimately, will make the Aero (or any other) the ‘successor’ to the L*ser.  IMO that won’t lead to Olympic sailing because it won’t be around in 10 years time, but that will lead to a big bunch of sales and dollars which hopefully RS will use some of to develop more new boats and keep others alive and kicking.  Now a debate can be had about what critical mass looks like but typically I would argue strong 50+ Nationals fleets in major European sailing nations, US and Australia at 100+ and at least some distributed fleets through SA, Middle East, Africa and Asia would be enough to shift ISAFs focus permanently from a class with all the issues the current one has - until then it’s a numbers game.
getafix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote getafix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 19 at 6:05am
Originally posted by iGRF

And MNA's like lots of promises of favours and kit at great prices, all wrapped up in an envelope... don't they?

Corruption in world sport governing bodies cannot be ruled out but at the same time, I think we could give these guys a small break and think they probably just made what to them was a practical choice given the current relative presence of both choices
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011