FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rotomould recycling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
zippyRN View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote zippyRN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rotomould recycling
    Posted: 04 Jun 18 at 9:42am
Originally posted by JimC

Clearly then one should separate hulls and decks on old toppers and save them up until there are enough to make a delivery to a recycler cost effective.

And defining a boat that will hopefully be used hundreds of times over its lifetime as single use is ****wit stupid...

Possibly what would be ideal would be for the manufacturers to provide a service by which they'll pick up an old boat while delivering the new one, and the old ones get hull and deck cut apart, stacked in a corner of the yard then recycled in batches.

in the case of the topper  where  the hull is  mainly the two monolithic  injection mouldings  splitting  for recycling  makes sense as the only 'mixed colour' part is the  seam area which iirc  has  wire in it  to aid the bonding  process 

boats are not 'single use 'plastics  -  that's  straws , (cheap) plastic cutlery,  cheap plastic / foam  takeaway containers  , plastic cleaning product / toiletry / cosmetic packs  etc etc etc 

zippyRN View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote zippyRN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 18 at 9:43am
Originally posted by JimC

Originally posted by RS400atC

Anodised ali is among the most favoured for recycling, it's less problem than paint, plastic coating, alochrom and most of the other surface treatments.

In my youth I was briefly an industrial chemist. We were presented with (IIRC) a requirement to strip a nylon coating from aluminium zip fasteners to permit recoating where the original coating had failed QA. We didn't succeed in finding a formulation to do the job, and I wasn't allowed to send out my report which recommended dissolving the aluminium out of the nylon and starting again...

presumably in that  scenario -   you'd then 'dry' the  aluminium solution  and  throw  the  resulting  back into smelters ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345