FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

course setting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Gordon 1430 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Gordon 1430 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: course setting
    Posted: 27 Mar 18 at 2:09pm
Hi All especially those with a technical brain.
On Monday we have a one of race designed to be a bit of fun, easter eggs as prizes etc.
As race officer I was thinking of extending the windward leg in groups to take out the handicap.
this if done correctly could end up with an almost all together finish.
They do something like this at Hill Head with the triangulation but normally its reaching legs.
So how do I work out the extra distance required slowest boat Topper 1358 - fastest 49er 697.
hopefully it will be the rs400 942
So working in groups of 100 py points and the furthest I would want to use being East Brambles at approx. 1 mile. race time set at 45minutes.
Any sensible  help gratefully received.
Regards
Gordon
Gordon
Phantom 1430
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 18 at 2:39pm
You're going to need to measure your total course length, because this is a distance on distance handicap. I think I'd contact Hill Head and find out what formula they use, because I wouldn't be at all surprised if there's more to it than the obvious, but the obvious would be something like:

Extra Distance = (Basic Course length/PY * highest PY in use) - Basic Course Length

Because its a distance on distance handicap the best bet is to do several laps so you can shorten near your 45min target. Don't forget that as the typical spread in any fleet is around 20% your last finishers are still going to be about 20% later than your first one, they won't be any tighter bunched than a typical championship race.
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 18 at 4:06pm
Can't you run it as a pursuit race, staggered starts and a line finish at the next buoy as the time limit expires?

Bear in mind that the difference between the Topper and 49er would mean the 49er would have to sail almost twice as far as the topper (or would start at zero mins and the 49er around 20 mins later
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 18 at 4:21pm
I've done the triangulation a couple of times at least. The distance on distance handicap is a bit of a blunt instrument, but its great fun. You get a nice lead over that slow boat and then see him peel off and head back again and if a faster boat overtakes you you get all the time back as he has to head off over the horizon. A hell of a thing to organise I fear, but perfect for a lighter hearted one off race. I think last time I did it you had a streamer to put on your shrouds which matched a flag on the mark you had to go round.
Gordon 1430 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gordon 1430 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 18 at 12:44pm
Hi Jim
Thanks for the advice. As it is meant to be a bit of bank holiday fun I will take a wild guess based on your comments but with a slow boat bias (mostly kids and Trainees).
Yes HH still use the streamers and coloured buoys, but I think the methodology  may be by wrote now rather than by any method as it did not alter the course when it was southerly wind not SW.
As you say its good fun though and definitely pays to be fastest in your group which is a sod as the Phantom is now in the same band as the 400.
Regards
Gordon
Gordon
Phantom 1430
craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 18 at 6:54pm
Don't forget to allow for the tide!
OK 2129
RS200 411
 Post Reply Post Reply