FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ebay seller fees

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ebay seller fees
    Posted: 27 Mar 18 at 1:58pm
So ebay have decided that if you pass your contact details to a prospective buyer so they can come and inspect then the item listing ends with no sale they will charge you the final value fee anyway.

This makes it impossible to allow buyers the opportunity to inspect an item before buying in case they decide it's not what they wanted after all  :headbang: 

Looks like that's it for me selling on ebay then........

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 27 Mar 18 at 1:59pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 18 at 8:49am
Fortunately two nice guys from this forum set up a group on Facebook to deal with this sh*t years ago.  It got quite popular, so they enlisted the help of two other nice forumites to help manage it.

The four of them will continue to do so until such time as Facebook inevitably take it over completely and start their own usury charging policies.  Then there will be a discussion about what to do.  None of them are prepared to become free labour for Zuckerberg, they see their current voluntary efforts managing it as part of a contribution to dinghy sailing, not Facebook.  

It has over 21,000 members now and is still growing.  Coupled with Apollo Duck, I don't know why anyone would bother with eBay to sell dinghy stuff now...  

Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 18 at 10:05am
Yup, Dinghy Bits on FB was the first place I advertised the 'nova, and is the first place I go looking to buy....... Followed by the duck and then after three weeks though ebay was worth a try as well, hence the discovery of their latest policy...... They have just got greedy and dictatorial (well, even more greedy and dictatorial) and I suspect may be in the process of engineering their own downfall......

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 28 Mar 18 at 10:05am
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 18 at 11:04am
eBay has been moving more and more towards the virtual marketplace for small and niche traders, not you and I selling our old clutter.  (No offence to the 'Nova)

It's also a bit of nightmare for several bonafide companies I know in the winter sports sector who simply can't compete with the German warehousing operations which use eBay to access the UK market without the same VAT implications.  

Bottom line - you can buy a snowboard on eBay from Germany for 70% of the RRP ... once it's discount season it really opens up the gaps.... hence why even the clicks and mortar shops are getting screwed by eBay and EU policies.
 Post Reply Post Reply