FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Quba, Pico or something else ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quba, Pico or something else ?
    Posted: 23 May 17 at 10:42pm
Or when going down wind in most conditions you need to balance the boat, and there is nowhere to sit, so you need to kneel.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Daniel Holman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Holman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 17 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by Cliffisen

Originally posted by Rupert

Similar size to a Europe, but a very different boat. Not much knee room and a smaller sail. Don't get me wrong, the Pico is a great play boat, and in a bit of breeze you'll have a lot of fun, but you knees may ache after! Your daughter and friends will have a ball.

This might just be a stupid question late at night :)But why do i want to be on my knees ?
Or is that cuz im an adult that its not possible to sit on the side ?

Pico cockpit drains straight thru, so is only 21cm or so deep. For adults when sitting in the boat the ergonomics are not great ie your knees are around your ears. Either that or kneeling, so less comfortable and mobile.
Not sure about qba cockpit depth. Fusion cockpit is self baled and is from memory about 26 or 27cm deep.
So most adults can sit in the boat with feet under them or in front of them comfortably.
Think fusion very similar box dims to pico I think just a touch wider.
If going for a used boat (if no fusions around!) then pico would be the one I'd chose.
Quite a revolutionary thing back in 96 or so when launched.
Cliffisen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cliffisen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 17 at 7:06am

I really appreciate all the help and tips from you all.

Looks like I’m going to invest in some kneepads as well haha :P
Well well, I think ill get some fun out of it and my daughter will have a blast as someone said before.

If I really get into this and love it, I’ll look into getting something for myself later on, but for now I think this will suffice. I can always change the sail to match my skill level if I see the need.

I just did a quick search for kneepads (don’t laugh haha) and holy moly there are lots and lots of fun little trinkets, clothes and what evers to buy. This is just like diving… I need discipline not to buy too much haha.

sargesail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sargesail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 17 at 7:32am
One thing to be aware of with the Pico.  There is an issue with spares especially rudders.  The hull was changed between the Mark 1 and Mark 3 and it isn't possible to use a new rudder on an old hull.  You can't even change the rudder bits too, because the gap in the hull that they bolt into is too small / too large depending on whether its a Mark1/2/3.
Cliffisen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cliffisen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 17 at 7:34am
Originally posted by sargesail

One thing to be aware of with the Pico.  There is an issue with spares especially rudders.  The hull was changed between the Mark 1 and Mark 3 and it isn't possible to use a new rudder on an old hull.  You can't even change the rudder bits too, because the gap in the hull that they bolt into is too small / too large depending on whether its a Mark1/2/3.

Oh snap.
Ill have too look into that!

Thank you for that information.
bicrider View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote bicrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 17 at 10:24am
I bought a Pico for my kids, But I do sail it in the winter race series at my club. I am 1.9m tall and 100 kg in weight. The biggest problem I have when sailing it is when beating (gong towards the wind) is that to get the boat balanced I have to sit really far forward that I am in front of the mainsheet block this make tacking a bit of a pain. But if I am not racing it is not a real problem and I also have the race sail which is a bit bigger and makes a real difference to the boat. The other downside to the Pico is if your putting it of a car roof it will need 2 adults its heavy I would make sure it has a road trailer if you are going to be by yourself. Other than that we have had our Pico 3 years and find it very confident building. But you may out grow it quickly have you thought about a smaller rigged Laser like a radial or 4.7 ?
Dart 18 5054 "Willy Flipit"
Finn K333
Yellow (faded) Pico "Willy Tipit"
Cliffisen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cliffisen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 17 at 11:36am
Originally posted by bicrider

[...] But you may out grow it quickly have you thought about a smaller rigged Laser like a radial or 4.7 ?

I have, but since my daughter is only 11 years old. It will be a long while before she can use the Laser 4.7. Im thinking that the step from Optimist to Laser would be a big one.

I’ll keep an eye out for a 2-handed that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg thou :P

I might just end up with getting more than one dinghy in the end haha

Edited by Cliffisen - 24 May 17 at 11:37am
about a boat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote about  a boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 17 at 1:49pm
Have you thought about a Mirror?
Cliffisen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cliffisen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 17 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by about a boat

Have you thought about a Mirror?

I have seen it and No Smile
Craigderby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Craigderby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 17 at 4:19pm
If you're looking at a 2 man, then a Laser 2 could be worth a look.  I sail ours with my 9 year old daughter, and if I'm feeling energetic I can sail it on my own,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12