FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wind Weight

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Jon Emmett View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Jon Emmett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wind Weight
    Posted: 28 Nov 05 at 8:19am
The important part is how it affects the sailing... So is it more than measuring the wind speed, then using the loos gadge to get the correct tension. Perhaps you need a wind density correction factor (percentage wind weight???) when sailing in extreme hot/cold conditions!
Scooby_simon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Scooby_simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 05 at 11:55am
Originally posted by Jon Emmett

The important part is how it affects the sailing... So is it more than measuring the wind speed, then using the loos gadge to get the correct tension. Perhaps you need a wind density correction factor (percentage wind weight???) when sailing in extreme hot/cold conditions!

Yep

Wanna learn to Ski - PM me..
Ian29937 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ian29937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 05 at 12:50pm

How does the temperature/altitude/humidity impact the wind gradient ie the difference in wind speed between the top and bottom of the mast? 

I always had a nagging feeling that the different weight of wind which some people report might be due to the different twist profile required in the rig as the gradient profile changed.

Any thoughts from the meteorologists on the forum to confirm or deny?

Ian

Stefan Lloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 05 at 1:40pm

In summer, thermal mixing causes the breeze to pick up during the day (I don't mean sea-breeze, I mean inland). That's why on a fine summer day it is often calm first thing and in the evening. In some circumstances you can get a strong temparature inversion within a few metres of the ground. Often you will see mist trapped close to the ground by this effect.

However if there is a strong breeze driven by a pressure system, turbulence causes the mixing to take place anyway, so you don't get much diurnal variation.

I'm not really certain that this will cause wind weight differences between summer and winter though.

Personally, I think it is more psychological and physiological. It is just harder to sail in the same weight of breeze in winter. You are encumbered with extra clothing and your muscles don't work nearly as well when cold. I was very aware of the latter when I used to windsurf in the winter.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123