FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Laser mast step wear prevention

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
piglet View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Laser mast step wear prevention
    Posted: 13 Apr 15 at 1:32pm
Does anyone have any learned wisdom on what works and doesn't work with mast step/socket protection.
I have been shrinking PET tube (Coke bottle) onto the mast, this protects the expendable mast, but does nothing for the hull in fact I would be surprised if it's more abrasive than than the ally mast given that the PET doesn't stay smooth & shiny for very long at all.
I have now adhered some 50mm UHMW tape around the inside of the step at the top which seems to be staying put and will protect the hull, but that's not really possible at the bottom.
You can buy PTFE strip to stick around the mast, but is that any better than the PET sleeve.
And I am suspicious of the PTFE disc idea because what stops the disc turning with the mast?
I have read about glueing a Stainless disc to the tube bottom, can't see that staying put for long.

Having recently purchased a 200 thou Laser in nice condition I am keen to keep it that way.

Any thoughts appreciated.
PeterG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 15 at 2:15pm
I don't think wear at the sides is a major problem, it may wear out the mast section over time, but those don't last forever, impact on the mast step is likely not to be too serious. I worry more about the bottom, and always use a PTFE disk. Don't know how much it helps, but one advantage is going to be that if you get sand or grit in there even it's under the disk, and the disk turns, it will tend to be pushed into the disk, so the impact of it grinding the bottom of the step will be reduced.

The big thing needed to protect the step is to ensure you don't get too much sand or grit in the there, and clean as needed. Keep it clean and you are unlikely to have wear problems even without any extra protection.

Also note that anything that packs the sides risks falling foul of class rules.

Edited by PeterG - 13 Apr 15 at 2:15pm
Peter
Ex Cont 707
Ex Laser 189635
DY 59
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 15 at 3:05pm
The newer boats all have a stainless disk as the bottom of the mast step (seem to recall this started around 140,000 and newer but I could be wrong). It also pays to make sure your mast foot does not get worn down flat as this can trap more grit under it. The grooves tend to help push it out sideways. Also make sure the foot is clean when you step it. I know a lot of people who get the mast upright by jamming the foot into the ground then dropping it straight in to the mast tube without a second though. I always wiped mine off before stepping it.

I used to put a pringles lid down my mast tube and just ate more pringles when it needed replacing.

Washing the step out regularly is also good advice and then making sure you dry it out. Use a bit of sponge on an old batten or a jug mop to get all the water out.

for side packing I think it is OK to put some kind of plastic wrap round the mast, I could be wrong and you would need to check the class rules to be sure. I never really had an issue with wear at the top of the tube.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
Buzz View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Buzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 15 at 3:44pm
Make sure there is no sand or grit in the mast step. Turn boat upside down and wash step with hose occasionally. Make sure the bottom of the plastic foot is not ground smooth if it is replace it. The indentations on the plastic base hold any sand so it doesn't grind the bottom of the mast step. People use either a stainless disk,a carbon disk or a plastic disk to prevent wear.
piglet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 15 at 3:51pm
Thanks chaps,

If the boat has a Stainless plate laminated in then a PTFE disc seems a bit pointless.
Do we know how thick this plate is? Is it likely to wear through in the expected life cycle of the hull?

ILCA rules:
19. MAST
(a) To prevent abrasion of the mast step, a tube or collar of uniform thickness not exceeding 1 mm may be placed around the entire circumference of the lower mast or the mast step cavity. The tube or collar shall not extend more than 10 mm above deck level.In addition, a disc of uniform thickness not exceeding 1mm in thickness may be placed in the bottom of the mast step.
(b) The mast or mast cavity may be lubricated.
piglet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 15 at 4:28pm
Just spoke to one of them at LP, no metal disc laminated in now or ever.
Though LP don't sell the PTFE discs in his personal opinion the discs do reduce wear.

However something stuck to bottom of the tube so it don't move would stop it 100%.

All advice on good practice & washing your hole properly duly noted. Wink
mothlee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mothlee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 15 at 4:51pm
Re metal plate. Suggest you do a bit of googling, rather than take as gospel what someone at LP tells you.
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 15 at 9:17am
Originally posted by mothlee

Re metal plate. Suggest you do a bit of googling, rather than take as gospel what someone at LP tells you.

I agree. I am pretty sure they have them. I shall speak to my LP contact and see what he knows.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
piglet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 15 at 1:48pm
I'm intrigued, someone must have hacked a newish one around?

Shame a magnet won't work.
Time Lord View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Time Lord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 15 at 6:23pm
As LP are unlikely to use high grade stainless, a magnet could well work. Also if the SS has been extensively worked, it can also be magnetic - next time you come across a SS sink try a magnet on the sink bowl and the drainer. The bowl will probably be magnetic.
Merlin Rocket 3609
 Post Reply Post Reply