FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boss or laser 4000

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
123standish View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 123standish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boss or laser 4000
    Posted: 07 Oct 12 at 9:12pm
Hello all, 

I have a f18 nacra which I love but I fancy buying a skiff to mess about on. 

I have always wanted a boss but wonder if it too much of a handful and whether a laser 4000 would be more suitable. I understand that the laser 5000 is more comparable to the boss but they seem even rarer than a boss. I do not want to spend a fortune as it would be my secondary boat and you seem to get more boat for your money with a boss. 

I understand that there will be much swimming with either of these and it will be very different to the cat but I am prepared for this. Myself and crew would be circa 180kg so classed as heavy weights and we are not interested in racing and would be used purely as a thrill machine. 

My question is whether you can still get spares for boss dinghies. Also is the sailing difficulty between a boss and laser 4000 is very different. Any experiences people have would be much appreciated. 

Thanks

John
Neiljbg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Neiljbg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 12 at 10:30pm
John

Don't dismiss the 5000.... We are still very active, far more so than the Boss (not saying the Boss is not a good boat)....we have a calendar of events, class training and boats are cheap ish and fun....have a look on the Facebook page or Laser5000.org. If you get a boat there will be lots of support available...if you are a heavy crew the 5k will give you it's of thrills and spills. Inlands at Rutland on 20th October if you wanted a look...
Rockhopper View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rockhopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 12 at 6:47am
Your too big for the 4000 we had one at less than your weight and it felt underpowered that was after coming across from sailing 5000s for years i would look for a 5000 rather than a boss as there is more about but saying that the boss with the 41 sq meter kite looks like fun
Retired now after 35 seasons in a row and time for a rest.
2004 national champ Laser5000
2007,2010,National Champ Rs Vareo
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 12 at 6:58am

The active class of the 5000 would likely make getting spares that work correctly easier with that than the Boss, which is a truly dead class.

Having said that,

*engage plug mode*

rather than hanging around, have you considered sitting down? Get a B14!

*/disengage plug mode*

-_
Al
haroosh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote haroosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 12 at 8:11am
Dont dismiss an old RS800. Seen one recently going for £2000.
Much better way to spend your money than an old 5000 or Boss that are worthless but have similar running costs.
So much nicer boat as it doesnt weigh 5 tonnes!!!!

Keith
RS100 GBR 116 (XLR8)
haroosh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote haroosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 12 at 8:19am
Or an old I14? Loads of spares kicking about the class...
Keith
RS100 GBR 116 (XLR8)
pondmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 12 at 9:49am
L4k and the Boss are very different boats, especially for the helm.  The 4k will feel smaller and more sailable in confined space, the Boss needs a good expanse of water.  AFAIK some Boss spares can still be sought from Wet & Windy as they're just the same as on the ISO, but there could be some specific items which you'd need to get machined if your current bit broke- probably best to speak to someone there, but they're going to be pro-Topper obviously. 

Personally if it's just for giggles, I'd look for a 5000 or ideally, an RS800 or B14 as has been suggested.  
fudheid View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote fudheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 12 at 1:19pm
not sure you can get a replacement mast for the 5000.....
Cheers you

only me from over the sea......
Max McCarthy View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Max McCarthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 12 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by haroosh

Or an old I14? Loads of spares kicking about the class...
I agree, we have got an old (1987) penultimate 14, and it is great fun, so far all that has been had to be repaired was the mainsail and that was because I fell through it! Anyway, they are great fun, and not as expensive as other twin trap boats, ours was £400?

Then again, I am no expert on this matter, the only twin trap boat I have sailed is our 14 :)

Edited by Max McCarthy - 08 Oct 12 at 6:01pm
Vintage skol moth 3438
AlexM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AlexM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 12 at 7:10pm
If I was looking for a skiff just for a laugh surely a 49er would be good. Pick one up for 1.5k - 2k
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>