FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is this the most boring event ever?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Contender443 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is this the most boring event ever?
    Posted: 05 Oct 12 at 11:42am
As a spectator sport isn't this the most boring event ever?

Kite boarding is the worst thing ever for the Olympics. You have 50 or so guys at water level going flat out and 50 airborne kites that you have absolutely no idea whose is whose.

Then after about 10 seconds from the start someone breaks out never to be caught and it becomes a drag race. The clip shows no close mark roundings or shouting for water. The commentator hopes there is not going to be a collision but I doubt it. I suppose one idiot could fall off and cause mayhem.

Not a good format for racing in my opinion.
Bonnie Lass Contender 1764
Ads View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 12 at 11:45am
Yes, very dull
pondmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 12 at 11:49am
it's amazing, even the spanish voted for it...
Contender443 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 12 at 12:06pm
Oh and one more thing, just look at the size of the course! How are the TV cameras going to cover all that ocean?
Bonnie Lass Contender 1764
AlexM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AlexM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 12 at 12:19pm
@ 2min 30

Two Kites port tack the fleet and the rest can't cross the line!!!! lol (watching at work without speakers so there might be reason for this?) but made me laugh!
ellistine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ellistine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 12 at 12:46pm
It's a good job the kite surfing wasn't part of the 2012 Olympics as during the National Ranker kite races they pretty much used all of Portland Harbour.
SoggyBadger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote SoggyBadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 12 at 1:01pm
It just shows how thick the people who run sailing are that they think that sort of drivel is going to be the sport's saviour (if they genuinely want to save the sport their best action would be to resign en mass).

Or maybe their hope is that kite racing will make skiff racing look comparatively interesting...
Best wishes from deep in the woods

SB

pondmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 12 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by SoggyBadger

Or maybe their hope is that kite racing will make skiff racing look comparatively interesting...

it's a lipservice thing... 'kitesurfing' kicks out windsurfing, not ISAF.  Windsurfing responds by attacking ISAF and basically sl*gging kitesurfing.

both get dropped and we can take the two medal slots and put keelboats back in for 2020.

Clever play- all for the long game.
I luv Wight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote I luv Wight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 12 at 2:22pm
It would be better if they got that Irish bloke that did the Olympic Laser commentary
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=510_1344196881

Edited by I luv Wight - 05 Oct 12 at 2:25pm

http://www.bloodaxeboats.co.uk
Andy P
foiling Int Moth GBR3467
Freedom 21 Codling
NickM View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 12 at 4:02pm
Not sure which was worse - the spectacle or the commentary. 

One thought: it must take some skill to work out if you can cross close in front of a starboard kite if you are on port without entangling his kite - the kites will be much closer than the boards, and the height they fly at does seem to vary.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>