FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Can anyone explain the RYA Umpire System??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Quagers View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Quagers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can anyone explain the RYA Umpire System??
    Posted: 19 Sep 12 at 12:40pm
So I'm starting the process of becoming a team racing umpire and I've got to say the documents on the RYA website are pretty confusing. Can anyone explain the route to becoming a Regional Umpire and then how you move towards being a NU?

AlanBaser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AlanBaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 12 at 8:03pm
Hi, I'm sorry to hear the website isn't clear, it's constantly evolving, we'll try to make it better. I'm really pleased to hear that you want to become a Team Racing Umpire, you've taken the first step by booking yourself on the seminar, there is an exam during the seminar, but that is for the National Umpire candidates, although you might like to take it so that you can identify areas that might need improvement. In order to become a Regional Umpire you have to take a performance assessment at a TR event with one of the assessors, when you've completed your seminar we will help to arrange appointments to an event to pair you up with an assessor. The criteria for the performance assessment can be found here - http://www.rya.org.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/Racing/RacingInformation/RaceOfficials/Want%20to%20be%20a%20race%20official/Umpire%20Assessment%20Form%20explanation%20-%20questions.pdf

In addition you need to have one written reference from another team racing event, a RYA Powerboat level 2 certificate and a VHF licence. You will need to put together a CV together showing your racing experience and you umpiring experience, you need to have umpired at four events before you can be approved as RU, again, we can help you to gain the experience. The application form is here http://www.rya.org.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/Racing/RacingInformation/RaceOfficials/Want%20to%20be%20a%20race%20official/Umpires%20Application%20Form.doc

In the first instance, before you even attend the seminar, I would urge you to complete and send in the Race Official Candidate form, this will mean that you get information from the RYA on officiating, newsletters etc. The application form can be found here http://www.rya.org.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/Racing/RacingInformation/RaceOfficials/Want%20to%20be%20a%20race%20official/Race%20Official%20Candidate%20Application%20Form.doc

I would also encourage you to download a copy of the Team Racing Call Book and the Umpires Manual from the IU Library on the ISAF website. 

If all else fails, give the Race Officials Administrator, Jacqui Roberts a call, 023 8060 4161, or send her an email jacqui.roberts@rya.org.uk.

One final thing, if you are under 35 years old, the RYA has a bursary scheme to help with the costs of becoming a race official, have a look here http://www.rya.org.uk/racing/raceofficials/opportunitiesandappointments/Pages/Bursaries.aspx

Hope this all helps.

Alan Baser
Chairman RYA Judging & Umpiring Committee
Quagers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Quagers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 12 at 10:43pm
Thanks for your help, also maybe worth pointing out that none of the links for the rapid response calls on the ISAF website work.
 Post Reply Post Reply