FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The things I learnt...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ifoxwell View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ifoxwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The things I learnt...
    Posted: 14 Sep 12 at 8:38am
We all know that the very good in our sport make it look O see easy.

I've never been lucky enough to sail with some one that's VERY good but I'm sure that I would learn loads if I did.

So who have you been sailing with and what did you learn.

Ian
RS300
pondmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 12 at 9:18am
5 minutes with Iain Percy in the back of my 420 at Grafham Winter training back in the 90's.... it made me realise how subtle the changes in sheeting, weight distribution and rudder control need to be to sail at that level.  Honestly the boat was just in totally new gear; so smooth and serene, planing upwind without any vices and still holding a good angle probably 5-10º higher than I had been sailing. (If you've sailed 420s you'd view that description as an oxymoron, but trust me, it was a different boat!)  Oh yes, and that all of that is on auto pilot as you sense the change in wind and water before it even happens.

Only other times... being lapped by Ben Ainslie et al in Oppys.  I guess it taught me resilience and dog-eared determination, and that finishing the race means you do a lot better than those who did not start.
G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 12 at 12:33pm
There are a couple of quite good guys at our club, trouble is they are all bigger and heavier so their style can be different, tbh I need to sail with or just behind someone my own weight to check what they do, I'm what I believe they call a kinetic or kinaesthetic stye learner, tell me til you're blue in the face, I wont get it, show me and I'll dial it instantly, trouble is I've spent so many years pioneering stuff where no-one went before that style has had to be varied to trial and error until I get it right, and If you want to beat folk, it's better to evolve your own technique.

Having said all that, this is the first sport I've engaged in where there is considerable previous knowledge and genuinely good guys, I found watching those Olympics enormously rewarding, especially that bit where you get to stand up, grab a handful of sail sheet and pull like buggery, kinetic sailing I totally get that and that new rule in the 2013 rule book that means you get to do it every wave..
themeaningoflife View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote themeaningoflife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 12 at 2:30pm
Having Victor Brellisford (ex I14 world champion, 18ft Skiff national champion and highest British placing to date in the JJ) crew for me in the 29er showed just how flat flat can be, and how the crew's sheeting mentality entirely affects the way in which the boat is sailed (searching for height, vmg, and footing off), leaving the helm free to look around without any doubt that the boat will not be at top speed.
Cambridge University Lightweight Rowing Club
RS800 1128

kindly sponsored by RWO Marine
MattK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MattK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 12 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by themeaningoflife

and highest British placing to date in the JJ

Brit teams have won twice http://www.18footers.com.au/sailing/past-winners.html

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 12 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by G.R.F.

I found watching those Olympics enormously rewarding, especially that bit where you get to stand up, grab a handful of sail sheet and pull like buggery, kinetic sailing I totally get that and that new rule in the 2013 rule book that means you get to do it every wave..

agree with what you're saying, although I didn't think 42.3(c) had changed????

is there any other definitions or interpretations?????
themeaningoflife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote themeaningoflife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 12 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by MattK

Originally posted by themeaningoflife

and highest British placing to date in the JJ

Brit teams have won twice http://www.18footers.com.au/sailing/past-winners.html

Ah I was mis-informed then, but regardless, still a phenomenal sailor.
Cambridge University Lightweight Rowing Club
RS800 1128

kindly sponsored by RWO Marine
getafix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote getafix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 12 at 1:51pm
having been lucky enough to sail dinghies and keelboats with serveral really top guys and girls I can only mirror the comments above, and particularly the "smooth" nature of steering and adjustments coupled with using weight to steer the boat, rather than just the rudder, what's always very noticable (even when teaching complete beginners) is that some peoples natural style is to be smooth and relatively subtle, whereas others saw away at the tiller like they're chopping wood or clump about pulling on or blowing off huge amounts of sheet tension at once... yes styles and techniques can be taught, but how much is just 'hard coding' and how much is learnt is questionable, after all where are all the people who used to be quicker than BA or IP in Oppys and Lasers now?

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 12 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by getafix

after all where are all the people who used to be quicker than BA or IP in Oppys and Lasers now?

In both cases, those people were older, therefore more experienced whilst beating them.  Once a level of physical maturity sets in, these people become very off pace compared to them.  IIRC Ben Ainslie was in the Oppy world team (top 5 helms in the country) by around the age of 8- competing on the level with kids up to 15 years old.  I don't think many other sailors have echoed this achievement so young.

DFF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DFF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 12 at 2:36pm
I am eternally grateful to the staff of Tighnabruaich ( 3 visits in the 1990s) and Minorca sailing along with staff I worked with at Blairvaddach. All had a big emphasis on safety, learning and fun.

Without them I would never have become a bloody mediocre dinghy sailor, because my own lack of coordination would have kept me at the bloody diabolical level.
Crewing on a Melges 24, against my better judgement...
 Post Reply Post Reply