FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Electronic Coaching Assistant

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electronic Coaching Assistant
    Posted: 12 Sep 12 at 2:14pm
Not sure where best to post this.

Do you think there would be any demand for a device that accurately measures roll and pitch angle (and heading) and streams the readings via Bluetooth to a laptop/tablet on a coach boat (for live viewing and saved on SD card for training room debrief)? I was thinking it could be useful for coaches to know exactly how much heel/trim their protégé is sailing with, e.g.
“Get that boat FLAT – you’ve got half a degree heel to leeward!”
“You should have pulled it over to 9.3 degrees during the roll tack, you idle SOB!”
“Shift your weight back, you need 2.3 degrees trim to get planning early!”

Coupled with a speedo it could be a handy way of determining best boat trim.

It would be about the size and weight of a small match box, or iphone size if it needed a display for the sailor to see the numbers too.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 12 at 11:24am
Not that much interest in it then...
kevg View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote kevg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 12 at 11:43am
I'd like a waterproof communication device. So you could calmly and clearly communicate with the person you are coaching/instructing on the water. Rather than yelling over the noise of wind/engine etc, blowing a whistle and random arm waving. (Everyone forgets what was said at the briefing!)

Perhaps we could have a device for the sailor to wear e.g a small earpieces. Then have several channels so you could give individual feedback to each sailor.

Could bluetoohn mobile phone technology do this?
Barty View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Barty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 12 at 12:23pm
I came up with a design for something similar for instructors and coaches with 6 colour coded channels, ear pieces and mics and the ability to broadcast to all or individuals.......looking at the costs verses demand it was never going to be a winner!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 12 at 12:33pm
If the comms kit was kept one to one, it would be very simple and cheap.

The roll/pitch device with bluetooth and software for the laptop would cost £300-350. It wouldn't take much to integrate with GPS to get speed, leeway angle etc too. Thought it might be useful to the Olympic circus, laser squaddies etc.
Oatsandbeans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oatsandbeans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 12 at 12:38pm
I think this would be great. I've even bought all the bits to make one. It was going to be my project for the winter. I was going to base it an an Arduino platform. It all looks quite doable. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 12 at 12:57pm
Nice one! Best of luck. It's definitely doable, as I have one on my desk.
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 12 at 1:01pm
I feel like I'm from the stone age... even using such a device would be problematical for me, but making one?

Mind, do you remember the protractor devices with the weight on a string to show when you are upright?
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 12 at 1:15pm
I find just a set of waterproof speakers and a looped tape of encouragement from the bread knife...

"You're doing it all wrong!"

Is sufficient.
Oatsandbeans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oatsandbeans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 12 at 1:21pm
I also thought that you could use a similar set up to help on 2 boat tuning. With 2 units one in each boat that would compare their performance and display the relative performance. So you could have it set up on say Vmg ( or any other parameter eg. Heel, pitch, ) and there would be a simple red orange green LED that would tell the helm how he was doing against the other boat. He would then modify his technique or set up to achieve as much green LED display. Also at the end of the session all the data from the 2boats performance could analysed in detail. The motorsport guys are masters at this , i'm sure that we could benefit from a more precise approach to boat tune and performance.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>