FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

J Boats New J70

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
blueboy View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote blueboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: J Boats New J70
    Posted: 08 Sep 12 at 5:32am
Originally posted by laser193713

The Hamble has so many single point launching cranes

Really? It's a few years since I was an owner on the Hamble but unless things have changed, there's the Royal Southern's (members only and very limited boat storage with afaik a ballot for space), Hamble Yacht Services (not an awful lot cheaper than their travel hoist) and Warsash Marina (not self-service). None of those provide an option that's most people's idea of affordable, which is why many SB20s trailer-launch.
getafix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote getafix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 12 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by Peaky

The review is gushing, to say the least, without really explainhg why it is (supposedly) better than the alternatives. The review also describes it as having a square top main, but the photo's show a very conventional looking sail, with the 'square' barely any bigger than a head board.

The cynic might say something about advertising revenue... the romantic says that it's a nice looking boat and appears to sail very well.

Still have the J24 and J35 down as some of the best racing I've been lucky enough to enjoy to date. I've seen and heard good things about other J's as well - I think at least some of them are built near Les Sables nowadays
brys View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote brys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 12 at 10:24am
Has anyone got a firm UK price for this boat c/w trailer from the distributers yet?
Have been unable to get to Soton show....USA prices it at around $45K (£28K)? but not sure if this includes trailer and sails....
Never enough time for sailing
andymck View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote andymck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 12 at 9:15pm
Have they got a no laminate sails rule? Seems odd the mains are Dacron on all the pics.
Andy Mck
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 12 at 9:39pm
Seems so- class rules (clearly still in development) are here. Section G3 is what you're after, starting page 17
-_
Al
andymck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote andymck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 12 at 9:49pm
Seems so. Does seem a step backwards. Don't seem to remember any other j's having only Dacron sails. Seems odd to put a state of the art carbon rig on the boat then a Dacron main. It also looks old fashioned. It's a shame, otherwise it looks like a small J90 which was one of the best sports boats ever but shockingly expensive at the time.

Andy
Andy Mck
craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 12 at 11:10pm
I think it looks simple yet elegant. There are loads of good looking but poor performing sportsboats/small racers out there like the Heol 7.4, Seascape 18, but they suffer because the performance doesn't live up to the visual hype. As for Dacron sails, well if they aren't flogged to death and the headsail doesn't hit the mast then they should last pretty well, and keep the running costs down. At the end of the day its a OD so what does it matter. As for other J's using dacron, don't most of the J80s use Dacron or were eyes deceiving me when I sailed one?

I'm waiting to here from local sailors who see it at the show
andymck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote andymck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 12 at 12:29am
Dacron main, laminate headsail on the J80 is the norm.
It would be interesting to know why though, the J is generally a premium product, so would expect it to have state of the art sails too. 
Though new dacron sails are fine, the leaches stretch quicker, meaning more regular sail replacement. Unfortunately cant afford one anyway, so guess for me its  just a question of aesthetics. 
Andy Mck
laser193713 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser193713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 12 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by craiggo

There are loads of good looking but poor performing sportsboats/small racers out there like the Heol 7.4, Seascape 18, but they suffer because the performance doesn't live up to the visual hype.

I dunno.... I think the Seascape is a lot more fun than it looks... and it looks pretty fun!

Quick pic of us from Poole, 18 knots, 18 feet, and you can sleep on it!

Chopdogs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chopdogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 12 at 2:16pm
Hi All

I very nearly bought a J/70.  Only problem is that it won't dry out on a regular basis on hard sand (confirmed via a conversation with Al Johnstone).  I would have kept in in New Quay in West Wales which is tidal.

So, the quote I had covered the boat, trailer, sails x 3, spinnaker bag and mainsail cover

£33,800 give or take a few quid.

I guess you should add on cost for an outboard and instrumentation. 

Craiggo - can I ask which club in the Bristol Channel you belong to? I'm just off Jn 17 of the M4

chopdogs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>