FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Para Olympic Fiasco

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
sargesail View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote sargesail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Para Olympic Fiasco
    Posted: 12 Sep 12 at 10:34pm
Yep - that's what I'm getting at!  The tariff is double any listed in the guidance, and might have been game changing even if there had been a medal race.
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 12 at 10:44pm
To me there's a subtle difference between the Swedish sailor's offence, which was to do something he was specifically required to do, but forget to ask permission first, and the British bosun's offence, which was to do something he was specifically prohibited from doing whilst actually being told not to whilst he was doing it.

To my mind the British team got off lightly: I reckon it could very easily have been a DND from all subsequent races.

Edited by JimC - 12 Sep 12 at 10:48pm
2547 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 2547 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 12 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by JimC

To me there's a subtle difference between the Swedish sailor's offence, which was to do something he was specifically required to do, but forget to ask permission first, and the British bosun's offence, which was to do something he was specifically prohibited from doing whilst actually being told not to whilst he was doing it.

To my mind the British team got off lightly: I reckon it could very easily have been a DND from all subsequent races.

I can't help but think there is much more to this than is summarised in those documents. The whole episode simply doesn't quite add up.
pondmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 12 at 8:53am
I guess it was a 'you had to be there moment'.... sadly for the competitors involved it's another 4 years before they get the opportunity again.
furtive View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote furtive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 12 at 8:59am
Originally posted by pondmonkey

I guess it was a 'you had to be there moment'.... sadly for the competitors involved it's another 4 years before they get the opportunity again.

And also sadly for the competitors, they weren't even there for the 'you had to be there moment'!

The team did have the required permission to haul out the boat and repair. Facts found suggest that the only illegal action was the bosun not complying with the instruction of the official. Obviously we don't know exactly how that conversation went, but Jim's suggestion that the athlete's should be punished with a DND (I assume he means DNE or DGM) on the basis of a conversation they we not party to is faintly ridiculous.
pondmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 12 at 9:26am
Originally posted by furtive

but Jim's suggestion that the athlete's should be punished with a DND (I assume he means DNE or DGM) on the basis of a conversation they we not party to is faintly ridiculous.

actually I would disagree... there's more to the olympic team than the guys in the boat.  And if there was any disrespect is shown to an event official from any member of the team, then in my opinion your team is pushing against the boundaries of FR 2.

Of course all this is open to interpretation, and as the poster above said, some of it doesn't really add up, especially when you consider the experience of those involved- this wasn't a wet-behind-the-ears engineering grad from Soton Uni.  

Edited by pondmonkey - 13 Sep 12 at 9:27am
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 12 at 9:59am
Originally posted by furtive

Jim's suggestion that the athlete's should be punished with a DND (I assume he means DNE or DGM) on the basis of a conversation they we not party to is faintly ridiculous.

Don't misquote me please. I said it *could* have been. I have no opinion on what it should have been. I wasn't there.

The point AIUI is that there is a no haulout rule and its not permitted to clean or polish the hull of any boat during the event, and that's why anything involving pulling the boat out is supervised. *If* it had been found that the cleaning of the keel *was* performance enhancing then the boat could not have been returned to its previous condition and the team *could potentially* have had an advantage for every race for the rest of the event. If you gain an advantage through an illegal action that potentially *could* be dealt with under Rule 2, and the rest follows. That's why this could have been a much bigger deal than it was.
2547 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 2547 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 12 at 10:18am
Originally posted by JimC

That's why this could have been a much bigger deal than it was.

I don't see how it could have been a bigger deal, it lost them a medal ... that is about a big a deal as it can be ...

Anyway, as pondmonkey says this was hardly the actions of an inexperienced person so I think there is mucyh more to this and I doubt we'll ever know.

Could this go to CAS? http://www.tas-cas.org/

Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 12 at 10:53am
My assumption is that the keel was in a far worse state after the repair had been done (covered in sanding dust and the like) than it had been on pulling the boat out of the water, hence cleaning it off. Doesn't explain anything that follows, though.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Presuming Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Presuming Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 12 at 10:54am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234