FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

470 skipper avaliable

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
yonca View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote yonca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 470 skipper avaliable
    Posted: 03 Sep 12 at 10:12pm

Hi all,
I'm an experienced 470 skipper, recently moved to the UK and looking for a crew to team up. I'm new to the system here so please also share any info you might have about 470 sailing in the UK. Right now I'm working in London, but ready to commute places where I can 470 sail!
Ruscoe View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ruscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 12 at 8:08am
Outside of the four ring circus, is there such a thing as a UK 470 fleet anymore??

JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 12 at 8:25am
Originally posted by Ruscoe

Outside of the four ring circus, is there such a thing as a UK 470 fleet anymore??

Very little, its about on a level with dead classes like the Boss and 5 Tonner.
But I don't believe any of the SW London clubs, for instance, have what you could call reasonable fleet racing in any trapeze two hander.
There are clubs that have good numbers racing Fireballs, but all a fair way out from town I think.
pondmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 12 at 8:36am

what happened to the fifth ring or has global austerity met a new low today Russ?

Yonca- best piece of advice I can come up with is to contact Datchet Water Sailing Club- they have a fleet of RS500s racing there and you could probably get some advice and guidance.  Okay it's not a 470, but it's the only proper fleet of single trapeze double handers around the London area that I know about.  (there may be others out there of course...)

They also have fleets of Musto Skiffs and RS100s... so if the doublehander doesn't work out there is still plenty of interesting singlehanded options.

Medway Maniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 12 at 9:37am
Surely one of the most significant features of the 470 is that it has a symmetric kite that uses bags?  I'd have thought a hiking boat that had that would be more relevant than an RS500 if you were working up to racing 470 at top level. 

But the only large fleet in UK that still uses a symmetric with bags is the Fireball, isn't it?  Certainly, in the past F'ball was always considered UK's best 470 trainer.  Worth travelling for, I'd have thought.

I'd ring some people on the Fireball committee for a chat if I were Yonca, to find the nearest fleet:
Neptune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Neptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 12 at 10:40am
Originally posted by JimC

Very little, its about on a level with dead classes like the Boss and 5 Tonner.
But I don't believe any of the SW London clubs, for instance, have what you could call reasonable fleet racing in any trapeze two hander.
There are clubs that have good numbers racing Fireballs, but all a fair way out from town I think.

Is there not a 500 fleet at Datchet?
RS300 and RS200, ex Musto Skiff
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 12 at 11:03am
Originally posted by Neptune

When I glanced at club race results I didn't see significant numbers regularly racing, but I'm happy to be proved wrong.
Noah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Noah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 12 at 11:31am
Shoreham (http://www.shorehamsailing.org/) has an active Fireball fleet and attracts sailors from far and wide (London, Kent, Berks, Bucks) on a regular basis. Probably the closest comparison to 470 sailing in the UK today (single string, symmetric kit, bags). 
pondmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 12 at 11:37am
Originally posted by JimC

Originally posted by Neptune

When I glanced at club race results I didn't see significant numbers regularly racing, but I'm happy to be proved wrong.

very good point- it's all a load of DNCs and handicap results.  I guess that's quite common thesedays.....  Cry

Neptune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Neptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 12 at 12:41pm
its a little bit like the Musto fleet there - i think.  They have 10 boats, soon to be 12, but typically they just arrange to sail as a fleet when the wind is best, that's my understanding of it anyway and I hope that's how it works.
RS300 and RS200, ex Musto Skiff
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>