FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

470 skipper avaliable

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
yonca View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote yonca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 470 skipper avaliable
    Posted: 04 Sep 12 at 1:52pm
worth to try, thank you lots
yonca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote yonca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 12 at 2:06pm
I don't know about this class, we don't have it in my country.. I'm 50kg, do you think I'd be considered tiny for it? 
I emailed them already, thanks for your advice
Dougal View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dougal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 12 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by yonca

I don't know about this class, we don't have it in my country.. I'm 50kg, do you think I'd be considered tiny for it? 
I emailed them already, thanks for your advice

Assuming you are talking about the Fireball then a 50kg helm with a decent size crew on the wire (85kg - 90kg) would not be a problem.

patj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote patj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 12 at 7:04pm
There's a Merlin Rocket fleet (technical symmetric hiking dinghy) at Welsh Harp (Wembley S.C. http://www.wembleysailingclub.co.uk/) in north London and various others on the Thames in south west London at Tamesis and Hampton
Olympic 470 silver medallist Stu Bithell sails Merlins too!

Edited by patj - 07 Sep 12 at 7:05pm
tickler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tickler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 12 at 9:11pm
Javelins at Southwold, Carsington and Glossop if you want to move. Are there no 505 arround down there? At 50 kilos how about a 420?
SoggyBadger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote SoggyBadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 12 at 9:44pm
50 kilos is what? about 8 stone? I'm 10.5 stone and I used to have to weight train like f*ck to achieve enough upper body strength to helm my Osprey competitively. I've helmed 505s too and the sheet loads are about the same. I expect a Javelin will be in the same ball-park. I would not, in all conscience, recommend any of those 3 as a long-term option for the OP (nor would I recommend Carsington or Glossop to someone based in London). A 420 is a cracking idea though and I'd also recommend that the OP follows Pat's suggestion at least once and have a go in a Merlin. Maybe he/she should go along to the Forumite next month?

Best wishes from deep in the woods

SB

tickler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tickler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 12 at 11:25pm
Well, he did say that he or she would commute but I suppose there are limits. However are sheet loads less on a 470? I know little about them really except that helms are light.
Do Different View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 12 at 7:55am
Slightly off thread but as a point of interest. I know of a Lady Osprey helm who is always in the top flight light or heavy weather and she is certainly not relying on being all muscles or weight to achieve her results. Perhaps the full raking carbon rigs are helping to even out skill vs strength. 
SoggyBadger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote SoggyBadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 12 at 8:38am
Originally posted by Do Different

Slightly off thread but as a point of interest. I know of a Lady Osprey helm who is always in the top flight light or heavy weather and she is certainly not relying on being all muscles or weight to achieve her results. Perhaps the full raking carbon rigs are helping to even out skill vs strength. 

Possibly. It's 20 odd years since I raced them. I've heard that the carbon rigs help the lighter crews. In my day the Proctor Epsilon ruled. Crew weight has a big effect as well. My last crew was a generous 15 stone so we were always powered up which tends to increase sheet loads.
Best wishes from deep in the woods

SB

G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 12 at 5:29pm
We still have a couple of 470's racing in our fleet, one of them Bithels old boat, both Father Daughter teams , they are very good sea boats, do well when the wind's up. One of them sailed right over me at the start on thursday in a bit of a breeze (4-5), bloody nuisance they are when its windy..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>