FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Advice on fireball replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
alex p View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote alex p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice on fireball replacement
    Posted: 22 Aug 05 at 4:27pm

Help please...

The attempted ressurrection of my boyhood boat from 20 years sabbatical suspended in the boat shed has foundered. In a week of energetic but pathetically uncompetitive racing ,40 yo gear (particularly sails that were porous to wind but not to water) was allied to rusty technique to supply due humiliation to my ego,and by the end of the week, resolutions of refurbishment had been dashed by distinct signs of structural cracking in the hull to go with the corrosion of the mast,the crap sails and the collapsing launch trolley.To the knackers i fear....

Sadly  my strategy was to provide a boat which could keep 13 and 11 yo daughters- who are getting a bit bored with their pico and want to trapeze-keen to continue sailing with dad or with each other in a year or two, rather than going off in my laser.there are two more girls 8 and 2 on the way onto the sailing ladder,but my wife is only prepared to work an outboard...I'm 41,approx 15 st, and wasn't brought up on the new performance rigs-so my initial thougfhts were to rush out and buy another second hand  fireball-not least as there's a fleet-and thus a boat park slot-at my club,which would mitigate against eg a 505/Javelin/470 etc.i'm used to a spinnaker rather than assymetric,and the prices of eg a RS400 even second hand seem pretty eye-popping for a hobby I indulge during at most about 3-4 weeks a year-we are based in london most of the year-though if the girls stay keen I can see us doing more weekends.

main options

another fireball or similar

new fangled asymmetric thingy to last forever

another laser so they can sail solo while I look on from shore and pretend not to have been that bloke sailing that fireball that badly!

persist with the pico and await boyfriends with performance dinghies....

thoughts?

Possibly the worst sailor in Norfolk-BSSC
Fireball 4927
Laser
Pico
Wanderer
Phil eltringham View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Phil eltringham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 05 at 5:59pm
Asymmetric-wise I'd say RS200 for you to sail with a daughter, and potentially for them to sail with eachother, except that it does not have trapeeze.  The other option is the Buzz which does have trapeeze but does not have the same level of racing. 
FLAT IS FAST!
Shifts Happen
redback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 05 at 7:08pm

I reckon a glass Fireball would do you great, but speaking as a 4000 owner if you ever decide to get serious and stir that blood - buy a 4000.

alex p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alex p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 05 at 8:57am
I tried crewing a 4000 on holiday in greece a couple of weeks ago and it was very amusing-particularly for the shore party.nothing like a gut full of warm water ingested at speed..... good reminder that i'm happier with tiller in hand than hooked on these days.
Possibly the worst sailor in Norfolk-BSSC
Fireball 4927
Laser
Pico
Wanderer
 Post Reply Post Reply