FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gennaker mounting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
liener View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote liener Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gennaker mounting
    Posted: 24 Jun 12 at 5:29pm
Hi everybody,

I'm Linus from Switzerland and I sale a topper boss on the lake of lucerne. Now I've a little problem with my gennaker.
I draw it up out of a bag with a lace comming from the top of the mast. The lace is held in a loop, from the top of the mast it goes to the footing of the mast then across the deck to the back of the boat. From the back it goes again across the deck through the gennaker bag to the gennaker.
To get the gennaker out of the bag you just need to pull the lace at the deck comming from the footing of the mast.
My problem is now the blocking of the lace on the one hand between the strokes and on the other hand when the gennaker is fully drawn. How do you do that? Is there a spezial mounting?

I hope my English is understandable! Thanks for any answers...

Cheers Linus
dave.blakesley View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote dave.blakesley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 12 at 10:00am
I think a diagram may be helpful here, not sure I completely understand the problem...
Lukepiewalker View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lukepiewalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 12 at 10:24am
Sounds like he may be missing a cleat somewhere. If I read it right.
Ex-Finn GBR533 "Pie Hard"
Ex-National 12 3253 "Seawitch"
Ex-National 12 2961 "Curved Air"
Ex-Mirror 59096 "Voodoo Chile"
MattTrinder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MattTrinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 12 at 12:02pm
Or he's expecting a sort of one-way system so you can pull and release the kite up-haul (pausing between pulls) without it coming back down ?

Telltale View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Telltale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 12 at 12:15pm

Perhaps we are talking about "blocking of the lace" being cleating between hoists and "blocking when fully drawn" being when fully hoisted. In which case the above spinlock swivel cleat will do the job. As suggested by Matt.

MattTrinder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MattTrinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 12 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by Telltale

Perhaps we are talking about "blocking of the lace" being cleating between hoists and "blocking when fully drawn" being when fully hoisted. In which case the above spinlock swivel cleat will do the job. As suggested by Matt.

As used on the Xenon, one of the Boss's (distant) children.  Other Topper skiffs (Buzz, Iso) etc use a standard cam cleat, with or without a fairlead on top.

I prefer the standard cam cleat version, less resistance on the way up, and less likely to cleat itself when you don't want it to.
craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 12 at 7:54pm
My interpretation is that the kite halyard hasn't been rigged properly and he has missed the cleat and the block.

Linus, when the halyard reaches the bottom of the mast, it should go through a block and forward to a double block (connected to the pole), then back through a camcleat then a block on the cockpit floor, and then ideally through a block tied to elastic from the back of the boat, then through a block behind the sock before running through the sock and onto the spinnaker.
You should pull the halyard from behind the block after the cleat when you hoist the spinnaker, allowing you to hoist arm over arm. The block will ensure the halyard runs through the cleat and is therefore always cleated. To drop the kite uncleat it, then pull down from behind the block on the sock side of the boat.

Are there any BOSS sailors with pics to show this?
Telltale View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Telltale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 12 at 9:54pm
Following on from Craiggo's comment this may be of interest. It never ceases to amaze me the things you can find on the web, enclosed is a link to the rigging of the gennaker on an ISO, (can't be that different to a boss) in ITALIAN. It will be just my luck that Linus is German Swiss but there you go! 
liener View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote liener Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 12 at 6:52am
Hi guys,

many thanks for your detailed answers! For sure there is missing something! At the moment it looks like this:

So it would be great, if there would be a pic of what craiggo is talking. In the mean time i'll try to get the Italian decoded!:) For sure I've something like a "circuito drizza"!

Many thanks again for your answers!
Cheers Linus

liener View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote liener Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 12 at 11:00am
With some details:

In red: Lace comming from the top of the mast, turned by the little pully. On the cockpit (not visible in this pic) there is a little cleat to keep the gennaker when fully drawn.

In blue: The lace goes back through the gannaker sack onto the gennaker. It is comming from a pulley held by an elastic at the back of the boat. All in one cycle!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>