FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gennaker mounting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
craiggo View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gennaker mounting
    Posted: 26 Jun 12 at 6:09pm
Linus,

I cant find a reasonable enough picture to explain it but it looks like you have the halyard rigged incorrectly. Its also a while since I last sailed in a BOSS so my memory as to where all the fittings are is a bit hazy.

There should be a back to back block (two blocks connected to each other) under the front end of the spinnaker chute, which the pole outhaul runs through. The spinnaker halyard should go forward through this before coming back along the cockpit floor.

The halyard should run through a camcleat and then there should be a pulley immediately behind it and you should pull up from behind the pulley, which will ensure that as you hoist the spinnaker automatically is jammed. I will try and draw a sketch and post it after I've eaten my dinner!
craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 12 at 6:20pm

Linus, managed to do this before my dinner was ready.

I hope it helps.
themeaningoflife View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote themeaningoflife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 12 at 6:24pm
Cambridge University Lightweight Rowing Club
RS800 1128

kindly sponsored by RWO Marine
craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 12 at 6:26pm
Thats what I've just drawn, and I was only on the Harken site the other day! doh!
liener View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote liener Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 12 at 10:35pm
Craiggo you've my repect, somthing like that before dinner, great job!;) And to confirm the whole thing the post from themeaningof... thanks a lot!

Now I just need to know what I have and what I need to by! I'll do that tomorrow;)

Thanks again!
Linus
liener View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote liener Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 12 at 1:25pm

Am I right with my assumption that you pull the lace behind the hoist block to get the gennaker drawn? In that movement the “Double block” will move to the right until the gennaker pole is fully up.

To get the gennaker back in you pull the lace the other way around, right behind the drop block. The pole gets in with the pull of the gennaker?

JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 12 at 1:51pm
Yes, that's right. You don't ever have any load running through the tension block, it's just there to try and reduce the amount that that the line gets tangled up.
liener View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote liener Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 12 at 8:44am
Great, so theoretically everything is clear. Now i'd like to know something about the main parts! It would be great if you could tell me something about the options I have on:

- the hoist block
- the drop block
- the camcleat
- the double block

Tell me you're experience you've made, and may be where I could get the parts.

There's also one very basic question I have, who is in charche to get the gennaker drawn? I mean the handling will do the one in front, for sure.

Thanks for your answers & have a nice day
Linus

NickA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 12 at 9:47pm
The CREW should pull the gennaker up and the CREW should pull the gennaker down.  The HELM keeps steering - but can help a little by holding the gennaker sheet whilst the crew pulls it up, then the gennaker fills up with wind nice and fast .... and you're off.

As for blocks, any small blocks will do fine.  for the Camcleat, you can use a spinlock (as the photo earlier in this thread), then you don't need a hoist block.  Use a swivel block for the drop block then you can drop from anywhere in the boat.  I use Allen 20mm blocks (http://www.allenbrothers.co.uk/item.asp?prod_id=1&cat_id=1) with a A2020 as the drop block and A2028 for the double block).  My boat is smaller than yours tho and the kite only 13sqm compared to your 33sqm!!!!  You might need bigger blocks.

Enjoy
Javelin 558
Contender 2574
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12