FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Top end limit finally reached..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top end limit finally reached..
    Posted: 26 Jun 12 at 1:55pm
Just goes to show how difficult consistently measuring wind speed actually is... Last weekend at my reservoir I was seeing regular gusts on the anemometer of up to 30knots sustained for 5 or 10 seconds, but lulls down to as low as 17. Goodness knows what a mean wind speed would have been. And to make matters even more complicated most anemometer are mechanical, so must have a certain tiny averaing effect on recorded wind strength.

I think as much as anything else its gust onslaught that makes things difficult. A sustained and steady 30 knots is certainly easier than breeze flicking up and down between 15 and 25. And so much depends on your rig.

Edited by JimC - 26 Jun 12 at 2:21pm
RS400atC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RS400atC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 12 at 1:56pm
Hard to tell the windspeed from looking at the video, it looked like a weather shore, so no fetch to the waves.
30knots at Lymington would not look like that!
20knots true would be 30knots apparent in a niner...
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 12 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by JimC

Just goes to show how difficult consistently measuring wind speed actually is... Last weekend at my reservoir I was seeing regular gusts on the anenometer of up to 30knots sustained for 5 or 10 seconds, but lulls down to as low as 17. Goodness knows what a mean wind speed would have been.

I think as much as anything else its gust onslaught that makes things difficult. A sustained and steady 30 knots is certainly easier than breeze flicking up and down between 15 and 25. And so much depends on your rig.

That's probably why the Beaufort Scale was invented. Much easier to define a Force 7 than 30kts of wind.
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 12 at 2:15pm
Sort of right, as Beaufort lacked any sort of anemometer. They came later.
-_
Al
dkr1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote dkr1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 12 at 4:31pm
Im surprised nobody has mentioned the effect that waves have on the limit of what you can sail in. 

I've sailed when 41 knot gusts were measured from the deck of a yacht at the top end of an estuary with clean wind and no significant waves and felt within my limits. Equally I've headed straight back in 25 knots of wind on an exposed coastline with a large, steep, waves. 

The famed 49er medal race is a prime example here (not wishing to start that rant however). 
timeintheboat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote timeintheboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 12 at 8:53pm
I suspect the majority of us have been out in the really big stuff when caught out there rather than it being honking and thinking - I'll have some of that and launching  (a laser qualifier in Poole Harbour thousands of years ago when a storm came through and knocked the sea flat springs to mind - Keith Wilkins was a monster that day)

I can only remember one occasion (Thames Estuary Yacht club (1985?) - I think it was) when I went out in laser when frankly I shouldn't - but I was young (ish)  - and not aware of any responsibilities I might have and I'm here.

Single hander for atrocious conditions - Laser, double hander - fireball.
Like some other things - sailing is more enjoyable when you do it with someone else
sargesail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sargesail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 12 at 9:09pm
Sitting out - L2K
sargesail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sargesail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 12 at 9:25pm
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 12 at 8:41am
I see the video stopped when it all went wrong?

Fun for a blast with a rescue boat ratio of 1:1, but I'd not want to be providing rescue cover for a fleet of 300's in those conditions.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
kurio99 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote kurio99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 12 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by Rupert

I see the video stopped when it all went wrong?

Fun for a blast with a rescue boat ratio of 1:1, but I'd not want to be providing rescue cover for a fleet of 300's in those conditions.

Couldn't agree more.  The last day of 2011 Cork was cancelled just before race start due to high winds.  The boats already on the lake were scattered over a 1 to 2 kilometer distance.  It could be several minutes before rescue would notice a problem and get on location.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>