FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Top end limit finally reached..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Mister Nick View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Mister Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top end limit finally reached..
    Posted: 25 Jun 12 at 8:40am
I don't think you can really write off the ability of everyone on the planet to sail in 30 knots just because you and some others at your club had issues. 
alstorer View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 12 at 8:42am
Indeed, lumpiness always makes life harder.
Curious though as to how many classes have something similar toi this written into their rules:

Section I – Event Rules

I.1 WIND CONDITIONS

(a) The minimum wind speed for starting will be that in which the race committee

considers the boats have sufficient capability for pre-start manoeuvres.

(b) Races should not start, or races in progress should be abandoned when:

(1) Wind gusts exceed 25 knots for more than 30 seconds

(2) Wind gusts exceed 30 knots for any duration

(3) The race committee considers conditions are unsafe for sailing.

Obviously, such a rule only applies to events organised by or behalf of the class association.

If you can handle it, sailing in big wind can be fun, but racing in big wind rarely is.
-_
Al
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 12 at 8:42am
on the other hand there is something fairly ridiculous about the way we dinghy sailors insist on having the same rag up in 30 knots that we do in 3 knots.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 12 at 8:48am
Originally posted by JimC

on the other hand there is something fairly ridiculous about the way we dinghy sailors insist on having the same rag up in 30 knots that we do in 3 knots.

Yes, it is strange. Yotties change, windsurfers change, but we don't. Apart from Laser sailors, of course. They all had radials up.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 12 at 9:03am

Problem was in the conditions we left to start the race, calmish, low water, the sail size was OK, I do have a smaller main for the Alto, but by the time the wind really started blowing, there were times it was taking the boat over with just the pole, probably bigger gust than 30 and as we all know if it's blowing a mean figure then the gusts are greater.

Anyway, it's just a tale and I've often wondered how much wind we could take and now I know. Smaller single sail boats can probably survive OK, but I guess the bigger the mast the more sails carried the earlier the limit gets reached and flapping sails have more drag than those sheeted and losing a rudder in that is a pretty terminal affair.

alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 12 at 9:04am

Very much so. Even classes where you could potentially have a different cut of sail oft restrict you to (barring breakages) a single suit for the regatta.
Of course, the 12s and 18s are a bit more sensible on this front.
-_
Al
Contender443 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 12 at 9:20am
There has been a longish discussion on the RS100 forum about rig swapping. What I have found out is the class rules say you can sail with either rig. There is noting in the class rules about rig swapping, that is left to the sailing instructions.

Now our club has nothing in it's SIs about rig swapping and the handicap is the same. We also allow Lasers to downsize rigs in windy weather provided they stay on the full rig handicap if they want the same result in the series.
Bonnie Lass Contender 1764
themeaningoflife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote themeaningoflife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 12 at 9:24am
For proof that it can be done, even if it is a bit of a  lottery, there is some video of us 29er sailing when a 37knt recorded squall came through. Although we were the only boat of the 4 not to break anything (including 2 masts from capsizing and bouncing off the bottom) we never felt so out of control not to put the spinnaker up and gybe it. I guess we had worked up to those conditions though, using the mantra that if you can survive in 20 you'll be comfortable in 15 etc.
Cambridge University Lightweight Rowing Club
RS800 1128

kindly sponsored by RWO Marine
Iain C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Iain C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 12 at 11:21am
30 knots in a Fireball is perfectly doable. There was one big day at Abersoch 2003 (bloody hell, is it really almost 10 years?) where although half the 400 fleet got demasted, most of the Fireballs that started kept racing and finished. Highest gust? 43 knots. No broken masts, and a truly epic sail. 
RS700 GBR922 "Wirespeed"
Fireball GBR14474 "Eleven Parsecs"
Enterprise GBR21970
Bavaria 32 GBR4755L "Adastra"
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 12 at 11:51am
Originally posted by G.R.F.

So, nobody tell me they can sail in any control in wind over 30 knots, it's not possible, even winching the boats up the beach with bare poles we still had a Contender blow clean over...

I think 30 knots is doable. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>