FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Death Roll and how to avoid it...?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
G.R.F. View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Death Roll and how to avoid it...?
    Posted: 22 Jun 12 at 7:44pm
Now I look at that and see a badly designed craft, low nose volume going under in no waves to speak of.
You lot would all go on about it being a technical boat to sail and that fella is obviously doing it wrong, when patently he's not, the conditions are blowy enough for it to be fun, not a battle.
And the more you lot get blinded by that 'technical to sail' rhetoric, the more your sport will disappear to the margins.
sargesail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sargesail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 12 at 9:56pm
And I just read your comments and extrapolate a bloke who simply doesn't know what he's talking about....

The 300 sailors (and ex-300 sailors) and a few others have told you how to solve your problem - you seem to know better, and then you sl*g off our craft.

And the stuff above is part of the fun.  And although Steve would tell you that his brother Nick is doing it wrong, I remember this moment: Nick didn't swim - which indicates just how wrong you are about the nose volume.

And I don't see my sport disappeearing to the margins other then in your head.
G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 12 at 11:12pm
Well since I feel argumentative tonight, the truth is sadly that boat like mine is already in the margins.

But one is in my mind a far better boat than the other, naturally we're going to disagree.

And as to knowing better, if I knew better I wouldn't have posted asking now would I?

And frankly I'm still not really any better off given all the variables.
Oatsandbeans View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oatsandbeans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 12 at 8:23am
The way that I look at this is that there is a sector from a broad reach to dead downwind that is a problem because the air flow over the sail becomes unstable. This means that in the light it is slow to sail in this sector and when its windy the boats behaviour becomes unpredictable leading to death rolls or broaches. So I always avoid this "no go sector" and sail either on a broad reach or bye the lee. If I have to move through this sector I do it quickly. This works for me and the 2 angles give lots of tactical opportunities on the race course. The sail set up for the 2 modes is slightly different with less vang being favourable for the BTL sailing.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 12 at 11:22am
Originally posted by Oatsandbeans

The way that I look at this is that there is a sector from a broad reach to dead downwind that is a problem because the air flow over the sail becomes unstable. This means that in the light it is slow to sail in this sector and when its windy the boats behaviour becomes unpredictable leading to death rolls or broaches. So I always avoid this "no go sector" and sail either on a broad reach or bye the lee. If I have to move through this sector I do it quickly. This works for me and the 2 angles give lots of tactical opportunities on the race course. The sail set up for the 2 modes is slightly different with less vang being favourable for the BTL sailing.

That is a pretty sensible way of looking at things.

Of course, what it needs most is time in the boat, learning to control it.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
robin34024 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote robin34024 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 12 at 1:57pm
from what i know, it seems the rs300 dude in the picture is doing it wrong; if you bear off rather than luff up when the boat tries to death roll, it comes flat again. if you luff up the rudder and the sail work together to drive the nose of the boat down, meaning that the rig becomes more and more powered up, leading to a death roll. anyways, thats what we did in the topper, although it may be different in other classes.
frow3n View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote frow3n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 12 at 12:11pm
When I sail my radial, 
- I find its much easier to let of the cunningham but keep some kicker on. 
- also when the boat starts to heel on top of me I sheet in the mainsheet about 1.5 or 2 armfuls and move my weight slightly into the middle and then ease it out :)
sometimes the best thing to do can be to gybe :)

Laser Radial 201357
29er 1907

Queen Mary SC
Fraggle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fraggle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 12 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by G.R.F.

I'm not about to buy Rooster anything never mind curing something like this,

Sorry GRF but you really would benefit from borrowing/buying the downwind dvd http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=UG&feature=relmfu&hl=en-GB&v=JivVDWlNiaw.  Really explains how to stop the deathroll (and use it to your advantage).  Plus, you get to watch Lasernut capsize , as he briefly features in the DVD, which is always a giggle LOL

If you really can't stomach rooster than I think http://www.caribwind.com/ltc/laserdvd/ also includes footage/tips downwind (its a little while since I watched my copy) and I think you know the guys running the centre so should be able to get hold of a copy.
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 12 at 12:48pm
You should be a training coach Fraggle, I learned more in the moments we had together rounding those marks than ever I would watching videos. Even if I watched the video I'd forget it almost immediately such is my propensity for watching films, ask the bread knife she just loves watching Dodgeball and The Hangover over and over and over...
Fraggle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fraggle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 12 at 12:53pm
Glad to be of service Wink

I used to coach when I sailed at NSC, let all my RYQ quals lapse since moving south however.  Now just run the occasional laser training session with Lasernut at HHSC. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>