FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What Boat?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What Boat?
    Posted: 25 Aug 05 at 12:03pm

and as for a boat , an ole half tonner fully optimised and kited oot for irc would not be out of the question , some of the later ones even managed to surf in high teens regularily dare I say even plane in a gale !, a Toledo I sailed regularily beat one Tonners over the water in the older days . Also anything by Steven Jones - a genius , his older tonner boats 1/4, 1/2 3/4 are still winning and you can still buy something like a fully kitted SJ 35 in your budget .

I suggest above , because you say you're not looking fra day sailing sprats boat , who the *** would want to sail cross channel or overnight in a cork ???,

Enjoy the search .

If you want fast and offshore think multihull , but thats another debate and pricey.

Stefan Lloyd View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 05 at 12:14pm

Originally posted by Bob Inn

Decca thats oot the ark , tink you mean GPS , Decca was a sod comparably.

I meant exactly what I said:  "Don't think that's been true since low-cost Decca came along". I am well aware that GPS has since replaced it. If Decca was "oot the ark" then so I am - thanks for pointing that out. Decca was fine when it worked, which it mostly did except in the early hours of the morning.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 05 at 12:21pm

more than ours did !!!!!!!!-- a fellow arker who harks of arks pre decca to the days of rdf .GPS really revolutionised the great masses to go racing forth into the unknown without a scooby doo of navigational knowledge is whit i'm getting at , at least with Decca you had to have some nav knowledge. anyway losing thread.

we're a pair of ole gits , and nuthing wrong with that .

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 05 at 12:56pm

Originally posted by Bob Inn

we're a pair of ole gits , and nuthing wrong with that.

Indeed. At least we are not sitting here worrying about when our GCSEs results will arrive.

I knew someone who (in his 70s) navigated the Fastnet in a S/33 before Decca was allowed and he basically sat non-stop at the navigators chair for 5 days. "These young lads" he said "They just go on about boatspeed. It's the navigation that's important". He came from rather dour Scottish stock. His father was a fisherman and would start a trip (in the days of sail) by heading straight downwind for 100 miles or so. "The other skippers would be arguing about which way to go so they don't have to beat home. We knew we would be beating home, so we didn't need to argue".  

49erGBR735HSC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 49erGBR735HSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 05 at 1:01am
What about a Mustang 30?
Dennis Watson 49er GBR735
Helensburgh S.C
Boat Insurance from Noble Marine

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 05 at 6:21am
Nice boats, competitive in IRC (with the modified keel position), not sure you'd find one for £20K though.
david_e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote david_e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 05 at 8:06am
Bingo - I would agree, the perfect choice for the budget. There is a Mustang 30 for about £23k up in Scotland (1999), saw it on the noticeboard at my club this weekend. I also demo-ed one and was highly impressed with it a few years ago, it was onlt the headroom that was an issue for us, sails beautifully and has all the attributes of a modern race boat. You can talk to Steve Harley at Harley Race Yachts about them, he knows most boats and their history - search the owners website and you will see that a Mustang 30 won the Azores and back race - a capable yacht.
Nick Star class View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nick Star class Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 05 at 11:24am

Go for two boats , a big one , as above ,and something smaller for fun !!

Int STAR

Open events in Norfolk , Suffolk and Europe and winter sailing Suffolk and Nice,France great fun !!

for more info email me or look at www.starclass.org

good boats for sail from £3500/40000.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 05 at 12:06pm
He is looking for an offshore boat and you are suggesting a Star. Not really the first boat that would come to mind for that kind of racing, is it?
sailor girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sailor girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 05 at 3:39pm
leave him alone...he's proud of his boat class!!
Sailor Girl, Queen Of The Forum!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>