FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Amazing how the costs mount up...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amazing how the costs mount up...
    Posted: 05 Jun 12 at 1:23pm
Small Gel coat repair kit, packet of pigments that looked in the shop as if they ought to be capable of providing a colour match - 40 quid. Get it out in the daylight and next to the boat and I'll need a least one more bottle of pigment to get anthing even vaguely resembling a colour match which is another tenner...
New cover, sail, secondhand mast required, probably sailtrack for secondhand mast, there's bound to be a hundred quid in fittings to get the boat up to decent order, and in an ideal world I'd have a replacement launching trolley...
Reckon the cost of geting the cheap secondhand boat on the water in decent racing order is going to be double the cost of the boat. I did know that, but it still hurts:-)
Nessie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nessie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 12 at 2:09pm
Just another hole in the water you pour money into!!!!!!!

Nessie

(I like cats, but i couldn't eat a whole one)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 12 at 7:03pm
What boat have you bought??
MattTrinder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MattTrinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 12 at 8:59am
Sailing - standing in a cold shower flushing £50 notes down the drain...
Lukepiewalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lukepiewalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 12 at 12:44pm
You do get the trade off (occasionally) when the shiny new parts turn a recalcitrant system the reasoning behind which have been lost in the mists of time into something that just works...
Ex-Finn GBR533 "Pie Hard"
Ex-National 12 3253 "Seawitch"
Ex-National 12 2961 "Curved Air"
Ex-Mirror 59096 "Voodoo Chile"
NickM View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 12 at 11:59pm
Double the cost of the boat?  Maybe.  But If you look at it the other way round, you are pobably making an unservicable boat into a reasonably serviable and competitive boat instead of spending £KKKs on a new one which, (in my case at least) would do little to improve my competitivity.  So that's value for money!
 Post Reply Post Reply