FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Laser Tips

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
EmmyC View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote EmmyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 12 at 5:57pm
I have the Radial which I use most, however I will be purchasing a 4.7 rig for those windier days. I have quite a lot of upper body strength, although most of the time I'm scared of breaking something!
laser193713 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser193713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 12 at 8:18pm
I would suggest a list of things to do would be

1) fit the new harken kicker, be careful not to use too much with all that extra power!
2) tie the end of your existing mainsheet to a fence post or similar, run the rest through your hands and "ring it out" until you reach the other end. Like a skipping rope except not round in circles, just randomly shake it.  That should help get the twists out. 
3) if twists continue try a new mainsheet
4)regularly check your top mast for bends, a bent mast is firsly slow, and secondly not legal under the class rules. 
5) occasionally check the bottom section for bends, i have seen radial bottom sections bend where the sleeve ends on the inside. Somewhere just above the gooseneck i think.
6) if all else fails PULL HARDER! LOL

If you have any other questions just ask. There are loads of tweaks you can do to the laser to make it much more fun to sail without being illegal. Most are free/cheap to do.  Just ask!
PeterV View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 12 at 10:03pm
I struggle to understand this post.  I thought there was only one way to go block to block and that's to pull the mainsheet in.  Then, whatever kicker is fitted you take up the slack on it.  The higher purchase on the modern kickers only makes it easier to pull the kicker tighter than this basic setting.
PeterV
Finn K197, Finn GBR564, Hunter Duette.
Warsash

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser193713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 12 at 1:38am
Yes, but by bending the mast with the kicker it is easier to get the mainsheet block to block. It shouldn't be hard anyway, just much easier with the kicker on!
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 12 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by EmmyC

I have the Radial which I use most, however I will be purchasing a 4.7 rig for those windier days. I have quite a lot of upper body strength, although most of the time I'm scared of breaking something!

Don't worry about that. Lasers are pretty strong and stand up to a lot of abuse. 

Do inspect your spars and fittings regularly and as soon as they get loose re-rivet them.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
EmmyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote EmmyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 12 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by laser193713

I would suggest a list of things to do would be

1) fit the new harken kicker, be careful not to use too much with all that extra power!
2) tie the end of your existing mainsheet to a fence post or similar, run the rest through your hands and "ring it out" until you reach the other end. Like a skipping rope except not round in circles, just randomly shake it.  That should help get the twists out. 
3) if twists continue try a new mainsheet
4)regularly check your top mast for bends, a bent mast is firsly slow, and secondly not legal under the class rules. 
5) occasionally check the bottom section for bends, i have seen radial bottom sections bend where the sleeve ends on the inside. Somewhere just above the gooseneck i think.
6) if all else fails PULL HARDER! LOL

If you have any other questions just ask. There are loads of tweaks you can do to the laser to make it much more fun to sail without being illegal. Most are free/cheap to do.  Just ask!

Thanks for the help - I imagine ringing out the mainsheet will help as it tangles non-stop.

The top-mast was bent when I bought the boat - I have been putting off buying a replacement for a while due to the fact my priority was the Harken kicker.  I had no idea that a bent top mast made such a difference?
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 12 at 6:26pm
You can always 'end for end' the top mast (unless it has already been done) just make sure the bent bit points forwards unless you straighten it first.

With the mainsheet if you pull it out the boat and slowly walk along it whilst gripping it fairly tightly until it is fully extended this can help with the kinking and tangling. I do this twice before tying the loose end off at the mainsheet ratchet, it does help.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
EmmyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote EmmyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 12 at 5:55pm
Hi guys.

I took on all the advice you lot gave me and I got block to block with no trouble. I now, however, have another problem: There is far too much going on at the mast and things are getting into the way of other things - Making sail control hard. Is there an order I should rig things up in in so that there are no problems? Also, how do I stop the outhaul blocks getting caught on the clew strap?

Thanks ;)

Edited by EmmyC - 10 Jun 12 at 5:58pm
fab100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fab100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 12 at 6:02pm
Keep the cunno all one side of the boom (mine is to sbd) and outhaul the other. I don't have this problem at all, I have to say.

Sounds like the primary outhaul line needs to be a bit longer - there should be more than enough travel in the secondary line for the block to always be mast-side of the clew strap

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser193713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 12 at 10:37pm
I will dig out some pics of my old boat if i can find them, shows everything very clearly and some interesting tweaks that make the boat much easier to rig particularly when changing between the 4.7 and radial because of the change of length in the foot.  

As for leading the cunningham down one side of the boom, yeah it can help but only really on the the standard rig where you can sometimes run out of travel with an old sail in very heavy winds. I did rig the cunningham round the front of the mast for a while but it takes quite a lot of setting up to get it right, works brilliantly when it is set up though!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>