FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rule 69 - where are the limits

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rule 69 - where are the limits
    Posted: 29 May 12 at 8:58am
So, shouting "for f**k's sake" into the skies, as the 15th windshift slams the door in your face as your opposition sails merrily away - allowed?

Shouting "what the f**k are you doing over there?" to your teammate in team racing when the start gun goes and he is off the other side of the lake, oblivious - allowed? I got told off for that one back in 1985 - the sentence may have been longer and include more swearing, some of it personal. We lost the match...
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Pierre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pierre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 12 at 9:25am
Originally posted by r2d2

did you not read Brass' post? he already covered that

And that is precisely the sort of attitude that kicks things off.
r2d2 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote r2d2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 12 at 9:29am
Originally posted by Pierre

Originally posted by r2d2

did you not read Brass' post? he already covered that

And that is precisely the sort of attitude that kicks things off.

hi there - sorry, I did not post anything with any attitude at all.  The post I commented on (by winging it) only repeated what had been posted earlier in the thread and didn't give any opinion - it was 'blank' in that sense just like mine was

Edited by r2d2 - 29 May 12 at 9:30am
pondmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 12 at 10:07am
I lost a team racing protest once for calling someone a 'Scottish Bitch'... the reason cited by the assembled gaggle that formed the protest hearing was 'racism' rather than the bad language of 'bitch'.  Technically speaking, I think it's xenophobia as we were both caucasian; besides we were south of the wall and I wanted to make sure she knew I was talking to her, not the bird who was crewing for me.

Ether way she was Scottish, she was refusing to do turns (therefore a 'bitch') and I later pulled her in Newcastle Student Union, so all was forgiven... uni team racing, gotta love it.
Barty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Barty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 12 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by pondmonkey

I lost a team racing protest once for calling someone a 'Scottish Bitch'... the reason cited by the assembled gaggle that formed the protest hearing was 'racism' rather than the bad language of 'bitch'.  Technically speaking, I think it's xenophobia as we were both caucasian; besides we were south of the wall and I wanted to make sure she knew I was talking to her, not the bird who was crewing for me.

Ether way she was Scottish, she was refusing to do turns (therefore a 'bitch') and I later pulled her in Newcastle Student Union, so all was forgiven... uni team racing, gotta love it.

LOL love it!  I hope it was the real Newcastle SU and not the fake poly one over the road?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 12 at 12:51pm
Ah, the Mens Bar. Happy days...

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 12 at 1:00pm
I still have the T-Shirt somewhere... a big W with an Anchor icon on it, slogan across the front with '... drink in the Mens Bar'  LOL
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 12 at 1:36pm
Nice bit of thread drift here.....she was obviously not too upset if you pulled her later....either that or you looked better with your clothes on!

Back to the original question.

We had an incident some years back where a club member was regularly using intimidating behavior and bad language on the water to other competitors some of whom were children who were just starting out. This kind of behavior should not be tolerated especially where children are concerned (they were young we are talking oppie/topper 4.2 sailors).

I admit there are times when I get frustrated in the boat and will 'have a quiet word with myself' at time especially when the wind has done said 15th shift (I would imagine we all get a little emotional at that point).

I do feel that if this is directed towards another competitor though then the person who did it should at the very least apologise after the race and if not then sanctions should follow. If this person does it persistently then the level system does seem appropriate for sanctioning.

Each case must be taken on it's own merits though and, of course, a protest should be raised. 

Far too many times have I heard people shouting at each other after an incident when a simple hail of 'protest' would have sufficed. This is usually when the bad language starts.

I do agree 100% with what Brass has posted however as most racing is done at club level where children are usually on the water then this needs to be taken in to account.

Just my 2p.....
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 12 at 1:43pm
Actually I think she was just blind drunk... beer googles are not something of male preserve, especially for Scottish women, they mate with men in skirts after all.

Anyway, sorry for the thread drift, and you're right.  Aggressive and intimidating behaviour should not be acceptable, but each and every incident will be different, with a differing set of precursors on every occasion.  Therefore rules (club rules and racing ones) that allow interpretation and progressive application seem perfectly logical in this debate.

Edited by pondmonkey - 29 May 12 at 1:44pm
Presuming Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Presuming Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 12 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by pondmonkey

especially for Scottish women, they mate with men in skirts after all.

Speeds things up for all concerned. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>