FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rule 69 - where are the limits

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author
Fraggle View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Fraggle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 15 at 11:53am
I've been on the receiving end of this myself. At a laser open a number of years ago. I was on port trying to take avoiding action of a starboard boat (both beating) and he bore away. I muttered about give me a chance, hold your course and received a torrent of abuse, not sure how many times I was told to F off. I responded to tell him to shut up and that I would protest him if he continued. This resulted in yet more abuse, so I yelled protest and let him continue shouting. (I was more focussed on the radial behind me than a full rig that didn't count to my results so didn't want to get too distracted)
Now I'm fairly confident on the water and managed to not let him wind me up (went on to overtake him on the reach and beat him in the race). I guess he took offence to a young girl in a radial being that close to him (full rig).

I was advised when I got back to shore that he had been a bit of a hot shot in his youth and was a bit of a god at the club so I guess he got away with that sort of behaviour there. I didn't follow through with the protest as didn't appear it would be taken seriously, despite me having a witness. Really should of taken it further as that could have easily put off a more timid sailor from ever competing again. It wasn't just the language, but the tone and volume used. Definitely trying to intimidate. I do wonder if he would have behaved the same if I was a 20something lad in a full rig...
jeffers View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 15 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by Rupert

How is Mentioning someone's hair colour racist? Offensive I can see, but before I went grey, I'm told I had a ginger beard (to me it always looked brown...), yet I am the same race as the bloke up the road with a black beard.

Gingerbeard....bet it was not as awesome as this one....

Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
Null View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Null Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 15 at 2:15pm
So here is a question for you.  I get fairly wound up when sailing.  Mainly with myself.  As Jeffers will tell you from experience.  I often swear at myself in a fit of self induced rage.  Not proud of it and would be devastated if i offended anyone, however If I am not directing at anyone other than myself am i still in breach of rule 69?  I mean no one any offence, just frustrated in myself.  
kneewrecker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 15 at 2:23pm
I guess if it's in earshot of someone easily offended, then yes, you are potentially in breach of Rule 69....  

Personally I'm all for colourful language on the racecourse, it adds some variety and spice to the otherwise dull and inaccessible nomenclature of this sport.  What's the only other solution.... a list of permitted words and phrases?

Given you can even offend someone with your tone, I don't really see what the options are here.

Check this out:

And obviously this solo sailor is more respectable than this one.

Edited by kneewrecker - 17 Aug 15 at 2:31pm
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 15 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Null

So here is a question for you.  I get fairly wound up when sailing.  Mainly with myself.  As Jeffers will tell you from experience.  I often swear at myself in a fit of self induced rage.  Not proud of it and would be devastated if i offended anyone, however If I am not directing at anyone other than myself am i still in breach of rule 69?  I mean no one any offence, just frustrated in myself.  

Upwind rage I called it  Wink.

To be fair I found it funny but someone of a more delicate disposition may have taken offence.

I have been known to have the odd outburst (usually after tack off a 30 degree header straight in to another 30 degree header...I do usually look round before I get too grumpy.....
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
Null View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Null Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 15 at 3:03pm
Thats completely understandable and as such if i was protested and DSQ then i would only have myself to blame.  I am pretty highly strung, very aware of it and make steps in life to ensure i stay calm.  Like i say i wouldn't want to offend someone when shouting at myself.  

Does lead on to another point.  If we are saying that something not directed at someone is still offensive (and i totally understand that)

So what about if a sailor was slightly portly.  He wore ill fitting shorts.....Lets give him a name for the sake of an example..I don't know.....Daniel.

So Daniel, he is a lovely bloke.  Reasonable sailor.  But has suffered from middle age spread.  He insists on sailing in board shorts, however he is constantly displaying his arse...Hairy and fat!  Its offensive to my eyes and frankly anyone else on the water.  Is this a breach of rule 69?  

Now obviously i jest, however its a valid example.  He means no more or no little offence than me swearing at myself.
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 15 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Null

Thats completely understandable and as such if i was protested and DSQ then i would only have myself to blame.  I am pretty highly strung, very aware of it and make steps in life to ensure i stay calm.  Like i say i wouldn't want to offend someone when shouting at myself.  

Does lead on to another point.  If we are saying that something not directed at someone is still offensive (and i totally understand that)

So what about if a sailor was slightly portly.  He wore ill fitting shorts.....Lets give him a name for the sake of an example..I don't know.....Daniel.

So Daniel, he is a lovely bloke.  Reasonable sailor.  But has suffered from middle age spread.  He insists on sailing in board shorts, however he is constantly displaying his arse...Hairy and fat!  Its offensive to my eyes and frankly anyone else on the water.  Is this a breach of rule 69?  

Now obviously i jest, however its a valid example.  He means no more or no little offence than me swearing at myself.

Could call him Jon too. I have a great picture of him and I sailing a Fireball many years back spoiled by his builders cleavage.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
kneewrecker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 15 at 3:41pm
The obvious solution would be to stay ahead of said hypothetical man with such an unkempt back, crack and sack....  but I guess that would lead to more self-inflicted verbal abuse at the frustration of never achieving it, and we're right back where we started.  

I think the best solution would be to put mouthy self-abusers, the grossly hairy arsed and probably anyone with ill-tempered ginger beard in to a new class that the rest of us can forget about for a while.

Edit: Oh, and chuck Fraggle in there too....

Edited by kneewrecker - 17 Aug 15 at 3:42pm
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 15 at 9:21pm
Oh bother ( other word deleted) I expect I fit all 3 categories, or did before the grey took over.
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446
windrider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote windrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 16 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by MattK

Originally posted by Rupert

How is Mentioning someone's hair colour racist?

It's not.

PMSL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>