FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What Fitness Should Be Done

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jason View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What Fitness Should Be Done
    Posted: 13 Aug 05 at 8:31am
Hi I am a dingy sailer from South Africa that has just started keel boat sailing, I am 16 years old and need to start training in the gym. I don't have any trainimg programs and would like to know if there is any one that could give me some tips. Thanks for the advise but i would like to also know what training could be done for my posistion on the boat. I am in the cockpit playing the piano (all the hallards and the kicker(vang) topping lift ya you should have got it by now)

Edited by Jason
Stefan Lloyd View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 05 at 9:27am

What keelboat? The photo is missing.

The main training required for most keelboat classes is to eat lots of pies. Heavier = quicker.

If you are looking for a serious answer, it depends on whether it is a hiking class or not. Hiking: concentrate on quads. The gym can suggest how. Otherwise, general upper body stamina. But fitness is less of an issue for keelboats than for dinghies, which is one reason why a lot of older sailors (like me) move to keelboats.

Phil eltringham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Phil eltringham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 05 at 3:15pm
I would be very carefull starting to do too much gym work at 16, your body is not fully developed and pushing it too hard too soon can do long term damage, make sure that if you join a gym you get someone to help you put a routene together.  What Stefan says is right too, more weight and upper body strenght are the important things.  One final point, try and keep dinghy sailing if you can, you lear a lot more about racing tactics and the mechanics of how a boat works that way, in a keel boat it is easy to concerntrate to much on your own little bit and miss out on learning how a boat works as a whole. 
FLAT IS FAST!
Shifts Happen
Ian29937 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ian29937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 05 at 5:10pm

I'd agree with Phil's comments about dinghy sailing.  You rarely see keelboat sailors doing well in dinghies but the best dinghy sailors are in high demand to helm the bigger boats.

Whatever you do have fun.

Stefan Lloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 05 at 6:01pm
I'd actually say stamina rather than strength for both dinghy and keelboat sailing i.e. low weights, many reps. The number of times absolute strength is important is quite small, even on a big boat. But Phil makes a good point on being careful about strength work until your bones have finished growing. I would also agree that sailing a 1 or 2-person dinghy will teach you more than bigger boats, and stand you in good stead even if keelboat sailing is your ultimate goal. That said, you can learn a lot in small (2-3 person) keelboats too.
 Post Reply Post Reply