FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The best racing sailor ever ...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
2547 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 2547 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The best racing sailor ever ...
    Posted: 17 May 12 at 2:25pm
So apart from Ben who's on the short list?

Coutts, Connor Elvstrom, Blake, Grael ...?
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 12 at 2:28pm
GRF, of course!
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 12 at 2:36pm
There are just so many more opportunities now than there were in, say, the 1930's, that it is really hard to tell just who might be better than who. And how do you compare skippering a 12m or a J class to helming a Finn?

I think I'd agree he is a pretty damn fine sailor, and certainly one of the most single minded racers I've come across - his self belief is staggering. But probably justified...

Edited by Rupert - 17 May 12 at 2:36pm
2547 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 2547 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 12 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by Rupert

GRF, of course!

Only in his own mind is this a fact ...
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 12 at 2:58pm
Elvstrom changed the entire game like no-one before or since. And in some ways he didn't really have the big event temperament.

Blake, Coutts and Conner aren't even on the same page as the great Dane.
olly_love View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote olly_love Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 12 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by Rupert

There are just so many more opportunities now than there were in, say, the 1930's, that it is really hard to tell just who might be better than who. And how do you compare skippering a 12m or a J class to helming a Finn?

I think I'd agree he is a pretty damn fine sailor, and certainly one of the most single minded racers I've come across - his self belief is staggering. But probably justified...

dont forget ben did helm a cup boat and is on the list for the current cup.
the main thing ben excels is under pressure, he will come from last to first in one run
TWO FRANK-Hunter Impala

G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 12 at 3:28pm
Lester Noble has to stand out imv, if as his fan club suggest he has mastered that 49er..

None of those folk you've listed have sailed and won on Div 2 sailboards and dinghies and now mastered a boat like the 49er, so until I've spotted someone better, those guys are all single discipline sailors and we all know sailing sailboards is technically more difficult to 'sail' due to the absence of compasses etc never mind the motor skills that wag was cracking on about with clearly no understanding of what they were, that need to be possessed at the top of the windsurfing game.

Then comes me. Wink
ex laser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ex laser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 12 at 3:31pm
ben never used a compass when he was laser sailing, dont know if he uses one in the finn.
Daniel Holman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Holman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 12 at 3:34pm
No mention of Robert Scheidt? Just chalked up 3rd star worlds to go with 7 laser world champs. And two golds two silvers at Olympics.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 12 at 3:37pm
Eric Tabarley? Another game changer, but in ocean racing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>