New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Kiteboard Racing... so what's all that about then?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Kiteboard Racing... so what's all that about then?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 15161718>
Author
pondmonkey View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kiteboard Racing... so what's all that about then?
    Posted: 13 Aug 12 at 11:12am
I did wonder what would happen if they kept with their box rule principles... surely you could very well see meatheads flying kites that most wouldn't dare launch on fins longer and stiffer than anyone could beach start.  And then it's a case of getting meathead airtime with minimal touch downs at whatever corner they elected to bang.  Certainly the fin riding upwind has most of the board out of the water from what I can see from any promo shots...  it might as well be paragliding.
Dougal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dougal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 12 at 11:15am
Originally posted by G.R.F.

In RSX as I'm beginning to realise is the case in dinghies, it's height that is key, height with as little weight beyond 67 kgs as possible if a series of mixed weather races has to be considered.
Physics has its way in the end.

Yes there is something in at.  I came across Jonathon Lobart (French Finn Sailor) in Weymouth during the regatta.  Apart from being very engaging and happy to talk to us (despite my wife flirting with him and giggling like a school girl), he is seriously tall.

Years ago the 5000's tried to get around it all by calculating righting moment (remember lying on a board on a set of scales before a regatta so you could calculate where your racks shoud go) to try and even things up.  Maybe the wheel should be re-invented?

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 12 at 11:28am
AFAIK- the RS800s still do it Dougal!  
Dougal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dougal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 12 at 11:34am
Thanks, interesting. I have sailed an 800 but never raced one.  Personally I think there is some merit in the system as long as it can be easily operated.

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 12 at 11:44am
well it must work for them or they'd bin it at an AGM....  personally I think it's more pre-sailing faff and imo, the MPS fleet seems to get over the whole body weight/height issue for a performance sailboat, they accept basic physics... e.g. light guys wire earlier, and then just get on and sail.  Best sailor seems to win... irrespective of their body shape.
G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 12 at 11:49am
Is that what they tried to do with the EPS? In their little book, they have this guide but I think it's derived from weight rather than height and realistically med weight tall = better than short heavy, leverage being the key factor, it's the same with windsurfing, tall and slender = rig more vertical.

Whatever, it definitely helps me, having those variable rack things and being able to knotch them out a bit once you're out there if the wind puffs up a bit, but I think you're supposed to select a setting then that's it done, however it makes the boat susceptible to tipping in to weather and unnecessary kneeling in light wind.

Edited by G.R.F. - 13 Aug 12 at 11:50am
G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 12 at 11:51am
Originally posted by pondmonkey

well it must work for them or they'd bin it at an AGM....  personally I think it's more pre-sailing faff and imo, the MPS fleet seems to get over the whole body weight/height issue for a performance sailboat, they accept basic physics... e.g. light guys wire earlier, and then just get on and sail.  Best sailor seems to win... as long as he's a meat head

ftfy
gordon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 12 at 4:54pm
I understand that there is little or no limit on kite size, and competitors may reister 5 kites for an event. Therefore the 100 kg sailor can copete against the 65 kg sailor merely by choosing larger kites.

PSNo bjection to the term meathead, as long as any "scrawny runt" who is prepared to use the term face to face with the any of the many 100kg+ athletes who graced the Olympic stage in so many sports
Gordon

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 12 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by G.R.F.

Originally posted by pondmonkey

well it must work for them or they'd bin it at an AGM....  personally I think it's more pre-sailing faff and imo, the MPS fleet seems to get over the whole body weight/height issue for a performance sailboat, they accept basic physics... e.g. light guys wire earlier, and then just get on and sail.  Best sailor seems to win... as long as he's a meat head

ftfy

odd I wouldn't describe the current World Champ as looking like a Meathead!  Nor the former World Champ.... in fact, iirc from their punters poll, the average weight of the class has gone down with the influx of yoof!

2009:

current class chairman.... not a meat head by sailing standards at all:

Edited by pondmonkey - 13 Aug 12 at 5:03pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 12 at 5:21pm
Good Lord Jimbo! You can't go using FACTS to make a case. Most unsporting.

I think most people would claim thatmodern dinghies favour lighter sailors (and the taller the better), just because they are so easy to de-power when the wind gets up, but you can't add power if there's no wind.
Is there freedom on the board size as well as the kite size?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 15161718>