FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A few RS600 questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
rogue View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A few RS600 questions
    Posted: 27 Apr 12 at 10:32am

olly_love View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote olly_love Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 12 at 10:41am
Phantoms make me want to start eating pies and take the hit on mid life obesity, 
TWO FRANK-Hunter Impala

fudheid View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote fudheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 12 at 10:55am
Originally posted by Ruscoe

I wouldn't worry about adding another cleat to a carbon mast, just buy some carbon rivets from any decent chandler.  I had it on my Phantom and it worked well.

Regards the cunningham, you pull the main to the top of the mast.  then pull a truck load of cunno on, then release the cunningham and pull up the slack on the halyard.  At a guess i would say this is standard practice for 600's, but that is just a guess.

You can just about see what people do on this picture here of a phantom (think its Jimbo's boat he may be able to find a bigger version of the pic)

Having just had a carbon mast repaired i needed to cut a hole for a terminal back plate to rivet on to it. I've spoken to two riggers (one is one of the biggest in the uk) and they both gave a quizzical look when i asked for carbon rivets. What are they? they asked, we just use standard rivets.
You need to make sure that there is plenty of duralac all over anything metal to stop electrolysis. Which happens on any two metals.
Cheers you

only me from over the sea......
rogue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 12 at 11:14am
Originally posted by ham4sand

wow that's a lot of control lines for an una-rig, what do they do? i never noticed them on a friends when i sailed it, beautiful boat

kicker, cunningham and outhaul.  I understood those, I think anyway.

iirc, the other two are lowers adjusters and forestay adjusters.  TBH, short of letting off the forestay on a dead run, I didn't really know or understand the finer details.  

For an average club racer they certainly weren't all necessary, immediately anyway, and you'd probably be far better to cleat them off on the P&B (Andy Couch/Si Childs) settings and get on with the sailing the race with your head out of the boat. 

Ian29937 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ian29937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 12 at 11:51am
Having just had a carbon mast repaired i needed to cut a hole for a terminal back plate to rivet on to it. I've spoken to two riggers (one is one of the biggest in the uk) and they both gave a quizzical look when i asked for carbon rivets. What are they? they asked, we just use standard rivets.
You need to make sure that there is plenty of duralac all over anything metal to stop electrolysis. Which happens on any two metals.

I believe they are designed not to crush the carbon.....
Jaws View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jaws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 12 at 12:19pm
Will those be ok to use with a pop rivet gun, or does a better system need to be used to avoid cracking the carbon as you rivet it? Do carbon rivets still need anti-electrolysis products?

Thanks
RS600 794
olly_love View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote olly_love Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 12 at 12:21pm
you will struggle with a standard gun and will prob need a sissor gun
TWO FRANK-Hunter Impala

Ruscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ruscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 12 at 12:22pm

Carbon rivets are not rivets made of carbon, Ian is quite right they are designed to not crush the carbon fibers.  P&B sell them!

As for the Phantom the controls will be the 3 obvious ones (kicker, Cunno, outhall) and lowers and rig/forestay.  Adjustable lowers were are not always needed, but the idea is in big wind you drop off the forestay and crank on the lowers. Basically you are raking the rig back.  In those kinds of winds you are using plenty of kicker so tightening the lowers helps keep the lower part of the mast from distorting under the kicker tension.  The Phantom is a powerful boat and is very hard work in big breeze, raking your rig a la above makes things a whole load easier.  The rig system above (on James boat) works fantastically well.

RS400atC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RS400atC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 12 at 12:35pm
One or two RS600 sailors use a 2:1 halyard, which is legal.
The rest think it's not macho or something.
It works a treat, just like on the RS400, RS800 etc etc. Less load on the cleat so no slippage. You can preload the halyard enough so the stretch is taken out, the sail goes right to the top and stays there, even with full cunningham.
Jaws View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jaws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 12 at 1:01pm
Does a 2:1 halyard involve the halyard exiting the top the mast, going through the eyelet at the head of the sail (or through a shackle that attaches to the sail) and then terminating at the mast? I've never actually come across one before, although I've often heard them mentioned.
RS600 794
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>