FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How do we dispose of old fibreglass boats

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
drifter View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote drifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do we dispose of old fibreglass boats
    Posted: 12 Apr 12 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by chrisclark123

Would like to be around a burning fibreglass boat!

Chris

No you wouldn't. Carcinogens on sharp microscopic fibres. H&S/environmental irresponsibility.

Stewart
patj View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote patj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 12 at 8:06pm
Ebay them and make a profit!
kurio99 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote kurio99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 12 at 10:40pm
If you live on the west coast of North America, send them drifting until the US Coast Guard blows them up as a hazard to shipping.
Wink

(If you miss the reference.  They recently sunk a trawler that drifted from the Japanese tsunami.  You would think that iron is the ultimate for scrap and recycling.  Instead, they send all that pollution and waste to the bottom of the sea.  Go figure.  I suspect that one trawler probably outweighs hundreds of fiberglass castoffs in terms of waste.)

Edited by kurio99 - 12 Apr 12 at 10:41pm
ecosail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ecosail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 12 at 11:06pm
I think we are all agreed - uncontrolled burning is a definite no-no... I have read that there is a company in Belgium that can superheat the old fibreglass and turn it into building material but I think there isn't enough supply..

Landfill is a short term solution, and there are some pretty nasty chemicals that could leak out over time.

Pulverised fibreglass could be used as filler material in the building of new boats....

I have also read that there is some research being done for combining it with road aggregate, but the scent has gone cold on this one. 

Rejuvenating old boats is my preferred solution, but only delays the inevitable.

What sparked this question was looking around at all the old rotting boats sat on moorings or at anchor, thick with growth and at the same time boat companies endeavouring to sell more and more boats. How big is the problem? It might not be big now, but we need to start thinking about it - and maybe get some university students working on the problem.

Much of the car industry is now focused on how to recycle the old components of cars and much has been driven by government and popular demand. How long will it be before it affects the boat building industry? 

laser4000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser4000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 12 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by ecosail

I have a puzzle that affects most of us boat owners. What happens when eventually our old fibreglass boat is beyond economic repair and we need it to vanish?

Burn?

I believe that's something you have first-hand experience of Wink
ecosail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ecosail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 12 at 1:39am
You've caught me, my disguise didn't work then?!
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 12 at 8:45am
Disguise? You aren't Justin Beiber really, are you?
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Graham T View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Graham T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 12 at 9:21am
You can get a lot of boats into a skip...   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRWvn_wj1ZU
Osprey 55 "Tebutinnang"
Osprey 1245 "Two Bob Bit"
Miracle 1358 "Thumper"
ecosail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ecosail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 12 at 11:45pm
Close, we may share a birthday and I do look young!
Yours in sailing,

Chris

www.ecosail.com.au
gordon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 12 at 11:18am
Depends what you mean by "beyond econmic repair".

Many boats are quite cheap to renovate - if you DIY. It is the labour cost that is uneconomic.

Run a course on boat renovation and give the students a wreck each - that way more people get into boat owning - that expensive pastime closely associated with the cheap sport of sailing.

Ensure that there are special prizes for old boats at all club racing - to spark interest in using the older boats.
Gordon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>