FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Does sailing sexually discriminate at top level?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
a_dowley View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote a_dowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 12 at 2:05pm
This mixed idea is great because it does allow both sexes to compete.

But how does it work in nations which have different religious views? I am no religion expert but I am guessing that some religions won't allow you to go sailing for 200 days a year with someone who is not your partner/wife/husband.

This has always been a concern for me, are we going to lose those nations in sailing at the highest level?

Edited by a_dowley - 05 Apr 12 at 2:06pm
Rope for sale
Sailing Chandlery - Online Chandlery - Number 1 Rated
Medway Maniac View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 12 at 2:25pm
It'll just provide more pressure on them to enter the 19th, if not 20th or 21st centuries.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 12 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by Medway Maniac

Originally posted by GK.LaserII

Our club has a Ladies Championship. The trophy is named the "Dolly Bowl". My wife in past years has been more than capable of winning it but she's not interested...."I'm not a fecking Dolly" is how she sums it up.

We used to boycott the Ladies Race at my old club - all the arguments in favour of it pointed to having a crews' race instead.  

But I recall the comments afterwards like "I see Geoff won the Ladies Race again", which did at least acknowledge/promote the idea that the crew's input was important!

LOLThat sounds familiar

I did suggest we rename the "Dolly Bowl" to something more appropriate...Some bright spark suggested the "Crumpet Cup"......even my wife laughed.
Do Different View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 12 at 7:49pm
Mmmmmm. Very interesting. 

If Winging It with her background of experience and exploits doesn't think it's a question and would not favour a free for all. 
It looks as if at top level having equal nerve, skill and determination would not be enough to cancel out the physical differences and go head to head.
winging it View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote winging it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 12 at 8:26pm
unfortunately, when you're sailing at the highest level little things matter most, and almost every competitor will have the same amount of nerve, skill and determination, otherwise they wouldn't make it that far, but the men will almost always be stronger than the women, so it would not be a level playing field.  Women can compete equally with men at club level because the differences in skill between top and bottom are greater, as are the margins of error.
the same, but different...

laser4000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser4000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 12 at 11:49pm
In skiffs there is a difference likewise clearly Finns. Less clear in something like a laser radial

totally equal in something like team racing - for example the current BUSA 1st team title holders include a female helm, Claire Lasko who is also the reigning ladies national team champion and more than capable of handing it out to the lads..

ham4sand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ham4sand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 12 at 1:10am
in the same vein, does sprinting discriminate between sexes, surely women should be able to run against usain... they would do fantastically ;) 
John Hamilton
cherub 2645 - cheese before bedtime
cherub 3209 - anatidaephobia
laser 176847 - kiss this
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 12 at 1:35am
Originally posted by a_dowley

But how does it work in nations which have different religious views? I am no religion expert but I am guessing that some religions won't allow you to go sailing for 200 days a year with someone who is not your partner/wife/husband.

This has always been a concern for me, are we going to lose those nations in sailing at the highest level?

f*** em. There's already a campaign (which I support) to ban Saudi Arabia from London 2012 unless they bring women. Given they basically ban women from doing sport within their own country, this is unlikely- but then the IOC and our government are too spineless to ban them

-_
Al
mongrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mongrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 12 at 8:59am
Originally posted by alstorer

f*** em. There's already a campaign (which I support) to ban Saudi Arabia from London 2012 unless they bring women. Given they basically ban women from doing sport within their own country, this is unlikely- but then the IOC and our government are too spineless to ban them

+1
ex laser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ex laser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 12 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by mongrel

Originally posted by alstorer

+1

+2 blaime the i.o.c
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>