FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Laser New Wave

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Webmuppet View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Webmuppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Laser New Wave
    Posted: 31 Mar 12 at 8:13pm
Hi all,

I've just become the joint-owner of a Laser New Wave - that's the Laser 2 with an asymmetric kite that was introduced for a short while at the end of Laser 2 production and before the Laser 3000 was introduced. Has anyone any idea how many were produced? ........or where I might find out?

Many thanks in advance,

Nigel
I am the milkman of human kindness, I will leave an extra pint (Billy Bragg)

Graduate 2530 'Galaxy'
Webmuppet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Webmuppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 12 at 9:06pm
It appears that this is a slightly rarer boat than we first envisaged ......we've done some digging:

The boat was built by Laser in 1994 and has a plate showing its number as LLG 385 (i.e a different number series to the Laser 2). It was purchased by a work colleague as a brand new boat directly from Laser ...collected from their Banbury facility. My wife contacted Laser today and was told that they thought only about 100 "New Wave" models were produced.....they weren't certain and they were going to try and confirm a number for us. The boat looks almost pristine now that its had a decent clean and I suspect that it'll get a thoroughly good rinsing once we've launched that kite !

Nigel

Graduate 2530 'Galaxy'
radixon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote radixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 12 at 9:58pm
Nigel

some pics would be good to see, just make sure Nessa doesnt visit this thread, you might loose it...
Lukepiewalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lukepiewalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 12 at 5:44am
Was it not a fork of the Laser II Fun range rather than the Laser II Race range?
Ex-Finn GBR533 "Pie Hard"
Ex-National 12 3253 "Seawitch"
Ex-National 12 2961 "Curved Air"
Ex-Mirror 59096 "Voodoo Chile"
winging it View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote winging it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 12 at 8:23am
I've already spoken to Nigel about this one because I sailed one a long time ago when they brought out the boats.  Laser took one to Oxford to trial it and I sailed it with my 470 helmfrom that time.  Nigel, get hold of Will Gulliver, he should know more.  And I hope you're planning on bringing it to Hunts for the cvrda open!
the same, but different...

jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 12 at 5:27pm
Seen his pics on Facebook, the thing looks practically new!

Does it qualify for CVDRA Nessa or would it get in as a 'dead' class?
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
winging it View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote winging it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 12 at 11:37am
I am pretty sure it would count as a lost class.  These things are always interesting to see, as is any rarity.
the same, but different...

Medway Maniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 12 at 1:03pm
The only rarity I can remember about the Fun New Wave, was the odd occasion when the kite would come down cleanly into the chute.  It was the reason why, as a Laser 2 sailor, I gave up on the New Wave after being initially intrigued one Minorca holiday.

The kite arrangements were really very crudely cobbled together, with that pole sliding over the foredeck.  All solved, of course, when Laser did a proper job on the 3000 shortly afterwards.
davesrighthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davesrighthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 12 at 3:13pm
Hi Nigel,

I too own a Laser II 'Fun New Wave'.
Boat No. LLG-370. If you have any luck with finding anymore information etc,
I'd appreciate if you could pass it on.

Thanks,
Dave

Edited by davesrighthere - 17 Apr 12 at 3:15pm
Webmuppet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Webmuppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 12 at 6:47pm
Dave,

Where do you want to hold the nationals - lol

Nigel

Graduate 2530 'Galaxy'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>