FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Single handed shortlist - longer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Single handed shortlist - longer
    Posted: 08 Mar 12 at 8:50am
Funny how this thread has come down to the Finn or the Phantom. I guess that whilst the Halo is out there, it may, even with a donor hull, be too expensive as a boat to get back into things with, and there really aren't any other good weight carriers out there. The Megabyte never really made a dent in the market (though 2 may be coming to Whitefriars for some coaching in a couple of weeks), so maybe between them the Finn and Phantom offer everything needed in big single sailed singlehanders?

All Beardy can do now is go sailing in both, really, and decide which is for him, or if neither, think laterally, find a small crew and go 2 handed sailing!
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
gordon1277 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon1277 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 12 at 9:19am
Hi Rupert
your wrong, at his size find a good helm and get a FD great boat for larger crews and enough strings to play with.

I am same weight range as Beardy and have crewed 505, FD Osprey and helmed rs400 and now the Phantom which I think is great for people of a respectable size.
If you can afford an epoxy boat do. I had a Lightweight grp boat and it was a mistake.
Have a look at the website for advice.

What ever you buy just get out there and sail as much as you can dont just race. an hour spent doing tacking and gybing practice really helps.

Good luck
Gordon.
Gordon
Lossc
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 12 at 9:24am
Originally posted by gordon1277

your wrong, at his size find a good helm and get a FD

Personally I could never recommend that as a singlehander.
gordon1277 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon1277 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 12 at 9:44am
Hi Jim c
see the last paragraph of the reply before to make sense of my comment.
Gordon
Lossc
Beardy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Beardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 12 at 11:01am
In my lighter days I used to crew a Fireball, but as we were both poor apprentices[1] we could only afford an old wooden boat with blown out sails. My helm got fed up of being mid fleet, so he sold out and bought a Laser. That's when I learnt the join of single-handed sailing!

1. if that doesn't date it, then I don't know what would :)
sorting my life out, one shed at at time
WOMBAT30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote WOMBAT30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 12 at 2:37am
Hello

I am i a similar position. Larger bloke, and have been out of proper sailing since 2007. Since then i have got a bit larger, due to lack of proper exercise and sat behind a desk for anywhere between 10-15 hours a day.
Personally i do not see this as an excuse. Before i drifted out of sailing my weight varied bewtwwen 90-100kg which put me at the top end of most of the mentioned classes. I am now currently about 110kg, which puts me outside of everything but Halo (where's the fleet?), Phantom (good one is out of my price range), Finn (even worse than Phantom).

If money wasn't the issue i would go for a Phantom, purely because they are a great boat sail, especially for my size but are also an amateur class with an excellent CA and open series. Maybe over time a D1 could intice me.

I am looking to get back into saling this year and am trying to work out my best options. With the right crew to complement/counteract my bulk double handers give me more options, however, having spent the last 5 years chasing promotions and becoming a bit of a workaholic (to quote my girlfriend)  i do not think i could guarantee straight away that i could commit enough guaranteed weekends to an enthusiastic crew.

With this in mind i feel my only option is a singlehander.

Previosly most people have said that xyz boats are not suitable so do not get them. Buy an older example of a boat suitable to your size. In my opinion this is good and bad advice. If a £1000 Phantom was competitive then why are no people with any competitive aspirations sailing them?.... simple answer is because a £1000 Phantom will not be as competeive as a £6000 with a similar sailer. But i don't think anyone would expect it to.

With my own personnal circumstance i have been looking at several things and one class that is interesting me due to locality of local fleets and initial purchase price is the supernova.

I am looking at this for various reasons.

1) My budget is £1k - £2k at present.

2) Localish fleets at nice lookin clubs.

3) After some research i have found that bigger guys than me do sail them, but not at the front of the fleet.

4) It won't cost me money to lose weight (infact it will probably save me money by living a healthier lifestyle)

5) When i was sailing before i was reasonable competative at club level with an old F15 against newer F15's. I knew at the time that if i could afford like for like that i would blitz a lot of of the people i was racing against. Getting back into sailing i would rather know that losing weight (which by starting up sailing i would hope to do anyway) would make me more competitive than flashing the cash.

To sumarise and explain i would say it all comes down to circumstanse.

If big chaps want good opens etc then Phantom/Finn/RS100?/D1? are really the only options. If you do not have much of a budget then D1/RS100 are out due to the short time they have been out and so cheap ones do not exist.

You can find an elderly Finn/Phantom but must be aware that if you have any aspirations to get anywhere near the top of the fleet you will have to buy a newer version.

If long term you will have a bigger budget and you feel you are healthy at the weight you are then the Phantom/Finn (depending on location) at present are you're obvious choice. If however (like me), you are also looking at losing some weight and getting fitter then i can't see a problem with getting a boat, that at present, you are too heavy for. Over time, if you do lose weight you will get more competitive.

If any Supernova owners read this then i would be very interested in your feedback on my views, because i might be totally wrong.

Graham

maxibuddah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote maxibuddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 12 at 6:43am
just for the record Graham competitive epoxy phantom are starting around the £3.5k mark (admittedly rare) but I do appreciate that this is still out of your price range. Do not think that you have to have the ovington phantom to be competitive, a vandercraft epoxy is still as fast in the right hands.

I wish the best of luck in your search and hope you get something that you enjoy.

oh and for what its worth, I've always said to myself I need to lose weight, and it hasn't happened yet
Everything I say is my opinion, honest
timeintheboat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote timeintheboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 12 at 11:38am
Graham,

The supernova does tick quite a few of your boxes..... 

The supernova is an underated weight carrier - especially when the wind gets up. It has quite a powerful rig and a fairly stiff mast.

There are competitive ones in your price range.

Like some other things - sailing is more enjoyable when you do it with someone else
ex laser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ex laser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 12 at 2:01pm
+1 for the supernova. its a great boat.
Late starter View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Late starter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 12 at 2:15pm
As another 100kg (on a good day) sailor I'll also say +1 to the Phantom. I've owned 3, and other than the cost they really are a great boat for the heavier of us. However,  I've never sailed a Supernova as I had the perception, rightly or wrongly, that I wouldn't be competitive in one at my weight.  I'd be interested to be proved wrong though, as I think they look like a lot of boat for the money.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>