FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Talking Dirty.... Wind

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Strangler View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Strangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Talking Dirty.... Wind
    Posted: 04 Mar 12 at 7:09pm

I am giving a talk to the yoof of the parish and the subject I have chosen is Dirty Wind. It’s a topic that is often mentioned in coaching talks but the quickly scribbled diagrams do not explain well. It is definitely a subject of its own.

My working title is ‘Dirty Wind and other Stuff’- how to recognise it/understand it/avoid it/use it to your advantage.

IMO  the term DW  only includes turbulent wind and does not cover the full gambit of ‘modified’ wind caused by a rig eg. the lee bow effect. Do you agree? If so is there an all embracing term? I had the suggestion ‘In the Sh1t’. Yea that works well!

I have a few photo sequences showing the effects of DW. But if you have any links to useful video/photo please post them here esp. fleet effects.

Thanks

SoggyBadger View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote SoggyBadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 12 at 7:14pm
To me dirty wind has always included things like the lee bow effect.

Best wishes from deep in the woods

SB

RS400atC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RS400atC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 12 at 7:38pm
That rather depends what you mean by the 'Lee Bow Effect'.
To many people it refers to something else entirely, the effect of current on the lee bow.
Strangler View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Strangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 12 at 7:47pm
Yes thats another meaning but we are talking wind here.
SoggyBadger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote SoggyBadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 12 at 7:57pm
Yes I was referring to wind bending/disturbance as well.
Best wishes from deep in the woods

SB

G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 12 at 8:05pm
I would use the term 'disturbed wind' and talk about the five times the height in front of say buildings and ten times the eight behind a given object. You can also talk about refraction effect when wind crosses the coast and tries to travel at right angles.
Then you could go on about wind bends this often causes as the coast bends in a bay, then there are temperature differentials and the gusty effect of cold downdrafts and the likely reaction the wind takes to lift on starboard after a rainstorm, the reason the wind moves round with the sun, the effect of low clouds bringing stronger wind, there's loads to talk about with wind effect on sailing.

Strangler View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Strangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 12 at 8:17pm
Thanks Grf but just keeping to the rig effects and fleet effects will be plenty enough.
G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 12 at 9:54pm
Do you understand how and why the lee bow (wind) effects boats and particularly off the start line?

Then there's disturbed air by covering the entry of an opponents sail and using disturbed (by tip vortices) off the leech, directed into your opponents entry sail entry.
(One of our dirty tricks was a little extra pumping to muddy up the wind below us)
Strangler View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Strangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 12 at 10:30pm
Yes. I reckon the secret to explaining it is to use very accurate diagrams [thanks Mr Gentry and Mr Twiname].
andymck View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote andymck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 12 at 11:58pm
Dont forget the extra pump as you cross someone just to make it worse. I only ever do it to one person, as he quite blatantly showed me how.

Andy
Andy Mck
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>