FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Women's skiff re-vote

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Poll Question: Now many of us have actually seen them which do you think is best?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [1.16%]
3 [3.49%]
31 [36.05%]
3 [3.49%]
6 [6.98%]
42 [48.84%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Nick Peters View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Nick Peters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 12 at 11:07pm
900 is over 20kgs lighter sailing weight than the FX.....

Performance; Frances and Nicola at 116kgs could occasionally match James and Ed 154kg (good 49er sailors - 2nd at 49er Junior Worlds, been at it 2 years), but generally boys were quicker. Much appeared technique (boys lower wired, more physical, quicker in the manouvres) so hard to be really sure. However, the 49er requires weight and leverage to acheive that - put 116kgs on 49er, smaller rig or not and it is hard to see enough drive being generated to match the smaller, lighter 900. Likewise I imagine that a 65kg radial girl is rarely as quick as a 80kg full rig guy. Same with 300 B/A rigs or 100 10.2/8.4 rigs upwind. Not quite the same, I know. Anyway, time will tell, but certainly ultimate performance is not top of anyones agenda anyway, I doubt. They are probably all quick enough apart from the XX, I guess.

Nick

G.R.F. View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 12 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by Sosoomii

Says the man who designed the V Twin...

Got that wrong dick, your name is dick isn't it? Anyway dick, he didn't 'design' the v twin, I  did, he simply acted on my instructions including my measurements and was faithful to them. To his credit he did actually give me an alternative design that he would have favoured, would in all probability have worked better, but then it wouldn't have been what I wanted, O.K.?

So lets have less of the bullsh*t oh and at least he has had the balls to do his own thing as well, rather than bash a keyboard and come out with bollox on his first post.. You need to spend some time on here, earn a bit of respect in that you might know more than the square root of didly squat, to criticise guys like Dan, you hearing this?

Now is where you say sorry.

Or stfu and rank right up there with the sea monkey jerks of this forum.

Edited by G.R.F. - 05 Mar 12 at 11:43pm
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 12 at 6:53am
Originally posted by Daniel Holman

Carbon skinning is offensive .

Clap Clap

Plus, as my boss points out, chuck a load of carbon black into the resin, and you'll not be easily able to spot the difference between woven carbon and glass skins

The F1 regs confuse me at Points 12 and 13- why have 12 if 13 exists? And why no stiched fabrics? It's hardly an expensive technology! As for no carbon nanotubes, well, I don't think there's any designers who know their stuff are going to lose any sleep over that...

-_
Al
tickel View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote tickel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 12 at 8:22am
Carbon fibre is pleasing to the eye. It may not be just because it's trendy. The flower of a snakes head fritillaria and the abalone shell both have regular weave type patterns which were pleasing to the eye long before technology produced the beatifull sculptured racks on the Aurus. There is something about regular patterns on smooth curved surfaces that does it for me at least, irrispective of function.
tickel
RS400atC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RS400atC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 12 at 8:29am
Originally posted by tickel

Carbon fibre is pleasing to the eye. It may not be just because it's trendy. The flower of a snakes head fritillaria and the abalone shell both have regular weave type patterns which were pleasing to the eye long before technology produced the beatifull sculptured racks on the Aurus. There is something about regular patterns on smooth curved surfaces that does it for me at least, irrispective of function.

It'll look more practical with some pro grip on it.
BarnsieB14768 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote BarnsieB14768 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 12 at 8:39am
Morning Nick, having had a good look at the test boats on show at the exhibition, it would seem that the anti is up and there are a number of interesting protoypes out there to choose from.

Having sailed most skiffs over the years and enjoyed the experience on the whole, have found that the achilles heel for most skiffs, other than weight (5,000), is the ability for a team to right the boat in all conditions. My one reservation with the 900 is the area projection of the wing. Having seen and trained many over the years in the righting of the B14 (we have nets to overcome this problem (Looney Tunes B18 had solid wings and issues)) and others, know that this is a major issue for the lighter teams, and was wondering what the critical weight is for a successful righting at the top end of the racing wind range.

Not wishing to knock what looks like a good design but curious about how this point has been tested and what the minimum crew weight has been so far to successfully achieve this in a wind and sea state at or near to the top end of the racing limit.

Looks like the trials is not a foregone thing and may well be down to taste and lobbying.
Chris Turner View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris Turner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 12 at 9:01am

Can someone point out where the use of carbon fibre has been miss used?

Andymac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Andymac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 12 at 9:01am
Originally posted by JimC

As for forumla one and rules, just get a load of this lot...
from
http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/rules_and_regulations/technical_regulations/8697/fia.html
[quote]
ARTICLE 15: CAR CONSTRUCTION
15.1 Permitted materials:
[Snip]

17) Polypropylene fibres.

[Snip]

Who else spotted that in the list?!

How long before we see a rotomoulded F1?!! LOL
Nick Peters View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nick Peters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 12 at 9:09am
Hi Barnsie - righting from inversion was always something we were aware off and why we started over a year ago with the white prototype in pics in the spring. It has been righted successfully in some awful conditions with 114kg - the minimum is 110kg. Actually almost the hardest was in a flat calm - the waves and wind help. They use the standard 49er technique - hull downwind of the rig, and are pretty quick at it now.
The 900 has a lot less bouyancy in the wing than a 49er, so it is easier to sink it and start the righting process - I'll leave you to draw that conclusion, without pointing out what is blindingly obvious to the girls. Yep, a lot of people have spent quite a lot of money, so we have to believe it is not a foregone conclusion!
Nick

tickel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tickel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 12 at 9:13am
Wait for a roto mold hull with a carbon print..........
tickel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>