FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Match Racing in Handicap fleets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Phantom Titch View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Phantom Titch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Match Racing in Handicap fleets
    Posted: 27 Feb 12 at 1:10pm

Discussion Point for the forum:

Do you think that it is sportmanlike for a Faster boat to "Match Race" a slower boat to prevent Victory?

In a Handicap event.

Interested in your thoughs and perhaps a solution to overcome the advantage of the faster boat?
Titch ~:-))
rogue View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 12 at 1:12pm
surely if the slower boat is in contention to be 'matched raced' they'll win on corrected time anyway?
Isis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Isis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 12 at 1:17pm
They might well win on corrected for that race - but if your looking at the series result it is a valid question. If they both finish well down the pan but only the faster boat can afford another bad result to discard they would come out on top.

In class fleets I think its a perfectly valid tactic - In handicap racing where one boat has a significant speed advantage: not so much. Definately unsportsmanlike in those circumstances.
LASERNUT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote LASERNUT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 12 at 1:20pm
Not if the fast boat doesn't need the race.

I'm guessing this is about the fireball trying to sail out all the other boats for the sail juice series. They took me out in the first race and there was nothing i could do. Where they went wrong was they stopped doing it in the following races and just sailed. They should have spent all weekend taking us all out OR spent more time getting a good result. Not a bit of both.
Contender443 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 12 at 1:23pm
At our club we have average points of races completed for duties so it is possible to affect someone elses score once you have all the good results you need. This has hints of the Merlin Nationals and not one we would want to encourage. I hope we are all too polite and not bothered with this tactic for what is afterall a fun race between friends on a Sunday morning.
Bonnie Lass Contender 1764
Phantom Titch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Phantom Titch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 12 at 1:24pm
So if it is "Unsportsmanlike" what rule could we envoke to prohibit such a dasdardly tactic?
Titch ~:-))
fudheid View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote fudheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 12 at 1:29pm
I think it is reasonable for a slower boat to try to match race a faster boat to get a result, it happens in pursuit races. No one lets people just pass otherewise there would be no luffing rules etc.
Agree with rogue that its to late for the fast hcaper....he should be in front.
We often have to fight our way through slower boats and the general chat of 'your're beating us on hcap' tends to lead to a break of covering.

the point of hcap is your are racing the clock so you don't want to be titting around match racing if you do some one else will win...

Edited by fudheid - 27 Feb 12 at 1:32pm
Cheers you

only me from over the sea......
rogue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 12 at 1:36pm
This sounds like one of those little quirks that would take an age to sort out, and still end up leaving a sour taste in the mouth if it's overly analysed and rules changed to accommodate something as vague as sportsmanship.  

I don't see a problem in match race tactics on the race course, it's part of sailing and some of the best races I've had have been for the tussles between a small group within the fleet.  Although personally I'd avoid it like the plague in a handicap race where your only true competitor is the clock.  

Part of sailing is anticipating the boats around you- breaking cover really isn't that hard, either through sailing skill or on the water 'negotiation'.

Edited by rogue - 27 Feb 12 at 1:38pm
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 12 at 1:39pm
You could protest under rule 2... Big question mark over whether you'd win or not, but the hassle and so on might educate the guilty party.

If the boats are pretty similar in performance you could make a case - especially if the faster boat manages to save their time or very close.

Otherwise I think the fast boat needs to look very hard at their conscience...
fudheid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fudheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 12 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by JimC

You could protest under rule 2... Big question mark over whether you'd win or not, but the hassle and so on might educate the guilty party.

If the boats are pretty similar in performance you could make a case - especially if the faster boat manages to save their time or very close.

Otherwise I think the fast boat needs to look very hard at their conscience...

conscience???? LOL
Cheers you

only me from over the sea......
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>