FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Laser 2000 weight

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
gordon1277 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon1277 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Laser 2000 weight
    Posted: 27 Feb 12 at 9:19am
Hi
I know the blue hulls are racing version and yellow ones are training boats which i am told are heavier, having turned one over on Saturday on my own it was bloudy heavy.
for some reason Laser also made the training boats controls rigged differently to the racing version and not come back to the thwart where helm and crew can both reach them, stupid or what.

Gordon
Lossc
r2d2 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote r2d2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 12 at 9:57am
there is a lot of information at http://www.laser2000.org.uk/
but more importantly the CA is very friendly, so if you are serious why dont you get in touch
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 12 at 10:24am
I do recall on the early boats there were issues with the transoms breaking away if you grounded the rudder. Perhaps some of the weight gain is from additonal re-inforcement of this area.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
sargesail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sargesail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 12 at 9:24pm
Well there is a lot of horses**t talked about this.  And I say that as someone who took the option to buy an older L2K to replace the one (now owned by me) that I was racing, and had achieved consistent top 5ish Nationals results in.  (12 years v 6.5 years).

Did I do it because the hull was lighter, or tthe mast faster.  Absolutley not.  The reason was because it was cheaper ( and I could therefore afford to spend more on sails and sailing thus making it faster!).

There are some great L2K bargains to be had.  Far too many are under used and sit in dinghy parks not being used.  So you can have a great boat with less use for not much.

For me the only drawback with the boat is that I would like longer spreaders as per the old boat, which had Proctor adjustibles.  This has a holt set which are not.
Bootscooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bootscooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 12 at 10:46pm
While I'm not a circuit racer in 2Ks, I've been responsible for a fleet of 3 of them, both older and newer, and haven't noticed any difference between them.
We use them to teach Level 2 upwards and the fleet are also used in Inter-Service Team Racing events, which I'm cirtain would show up any glaring differences in performance.  Not a boat I neccesarily buy for myself, but they're very good at what they're designed for, and I've loved every minute that I have raced one with the "open" fleet (I was actually a Fotoboat calendar picture a few years ago in one! Big smile)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12